Cowboys DT arrested for intoxication manslaughter

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent was arrested early Saturday morning, and will be charged with intoxication manslaughter after crashing his vehicle and killing teammate Jerry Brown, ESPN reported Saturday.

If guilty, Brent could be imprisoned for up to 20 years.

Brown and Brent were college teammates at Illinois. Brent, the driver, was speeding in his 2007 Mercedes Benz and the car hit the curb and flipped multiple times, USA Today reported.

Police responded and found Brent trying to pry Brown from the car. Brown was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Officers gave Brent a field-sobriety test, which he failed. And he was arrested.

"I am devastated and filled with grief," Brent said in a statement. "Filled with grief for the loss of my close friend and teammate, Jerry Brown. I am also grief-stricken for his family, friends and all who were blessed enough to have known him. I will live with this horrific and tragic loss every day for the rest of my life. My prayers are with his family, our teammates and his friends at this time."