to all lincoln students

This is samuel writing my last blog to you guys. no one really wrote back much but that is ok. i still hope that you guys can all make it to college someday or if you don't want to go to college than i hope that you do whatever it is you want to do. i'm shure that you all are very smart and have sparkling good personalites and will make it very far in life. have a wonderful christmas and a great new year. hope you have lots of fun on your christmas break, i know i will. i can't wait until my finals are over. good luck to everyone!

Posted by at 4:11 PM

thanksgiving

what’s up robbert? how was your thanksgiving? I had an awesome time back in Brainerd for the weekend. it was nice to sleep in my old bed for a couple of nights and to see all my friends. all my friends that went to college came back for the weekend too so I got to see all of them also. i hope you had an awesom time and got to see all your realitives. I ate a lot of turkey and that was awesom because i was pretty sick of the dorm food by that point. i hope some day you get to go to college and have the same experience. anyways keep playing sports because that is always fun. i have a basketball game tonight and i can't wait. i saw the gophers play last night but they lost. see ya

Posted by at 4:10 PM

robbert

What is your favorite football team? i like the bears and the vikings myself. I like to play video games too, my favorites are halo and Fusion Frenzy. What are your favorite games? What are some other things that you like to do in the city? I want to go to a Timberwolves game, that would be a lot of fun. Do you like to watch sports? i think that you would have a great time in college, there is always something that you can do here and there are a ton of sports to play. Did you dress up for haloween?

Posted by at 4:34 PM

College life

College is awesom and there are lots of things that anyone will find interesting. One of them are all the sports that you can play. I don't know if you like to play sports or anything but if you do there are lots of good sports to play. You can put teams of your friends together and play other teams for fun. i have a basketball team here and our first game is tonight. Another thing here that is really fun is living in the dorms. You get to live with a bunch of other people that are your age and many of them will have the same intrests that you have. I love living in the dorms, I have a bunch of friends that live on my floor and we always hang out or play video games with each other. Do you want to go to college?

Posted by at 4:32 PM

To lincoln middle school students

Hey there my name is Samuel. I am from Brainerd Minnesota, which is about two and a half hours northwest of here. I have never lived in a city this big before and it is awesom. How do you like living in a big city? What do you do for fun? I like to play basketball, play video games, and hang out with my friends. How do you like Lincoln school? I am learning about it myself and would like to know what you think of it.
Have a good day.

Posted by at 6:44 PM

lincoln vs my school

one of the major differences that i want to write about is the difference between a smaller town and minneapolis. Especially this part of minneapolis where there is high poverty and crime. The kids at lincoln see drug dealers when they walk home from school. These are the people they look up to because they are making money and living it up. It is much different in brainerd, we don't have those distractions at home. You would never see a group of drug dealers just standing on the corner in Brainerd. Most of the kids at my school have nice home lives and don't have to come to school tired and hungry. Another thing about living in a smaller town is that it is less diverse. There are only nindy four african americans in brainerd and one african american in baxter, a smaller town of 5,000 that is connected to brainerd.

Posted by at 4:49 PM

Sherman Alexie and LaRhonda Johnson

I think that the culture of both of these people have shaped their education. For sherman his culture was supposed to be stupid and not suceed in school and not get educated. this was because he was from a poor indian resorvation and that was what was expected not only by just the non indian teachers but also by his fellow indian classmates. they would tell him not to give the answers in class and not to voulenteer. With LaRhonda it was kind of the same, she came from a poor black project where school and education was the last priority for her. Family also shaped both of these peoples educations, sherman was greatly affected by his father. shermans father loved to read and that passed on to sherman because he loved his father so much, he was even able to teach himself to read at a very young age and kept it up ever since. LaRhonda's family also affected her education but in a negative way. she had a very large family that needed to be cared for which meant that she had to put school aside to do that, although this did make her very mature very quickley it put her education on hold.

Posted by at 4:22 PM

The things we carry vs. Mean girls: A real case study

I personally liked the Mean girls story much better. That was a great narriative that actually cought my attention very quickly. She wrote the story very well and fluiently. I thought that the things we carry was a good piece too. It was an interesting writing and I could relate to how having a good teacher that cares about you and being in a class that you are interested in can make a ton of difference in how well you do in it. My geography class in eleventh grade was the same way, I had a great teacher and the course was interesting so I did well in it.
Back to mean girls. jen was right when she said that homecoming week can get crazy. Although I never really participated in that kind of stuff I heard about it a lot. Another thing about mean girls that I liked was the ending where she learns that she can't let other people rule her, that is a good message.

Posted by at 4:33 PM

The land of red apples

From what I read the girl in this story had many traits that affected her education. Fro example in the begining of the story when they were all on the train going to the land of red apples everyone was looking at them. She hated this so i assume that she is very shy or self concious, it says she tried to sink into the corner of her seat. Also when they got to the school and everyone was looking at them she tried to stay close to the wall and be unnoticed and when she was picked up and thrown in the air she started crying and wanted her brother or mother or aunt. All the customs before eating and the cutting of the hair maid her really uncomfortable. I think that her mother and her brother had a big affect on her education, because of her home life she was driven to a school out east. I thought that this was a very interisting story but I would of liked it better if it would have gone in chronological order.

Posted by at 4:22 PM

"Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere." I think this sums up what the author was trying to say in "Shitty First Drafts". I really liked this reading because I think that it takes a lot of the pressure off of writing. I have never had any of my previous teachers tell me that the first draft should be shitty, so I always tried to write a great first draft because that way I would have less revision to do later. This writing explaines that revision is a good thing and provbly the more you do the better the final draft will turn out. I would like to know some of the writers that the author mentioned that she knew. I also liked reading about when she wrote food reviews and all the anguish she went through just to write one.

Posted by at 4:39 PM