« Arrest Made in Hit and Run Accident | Main | Como Zoo Names Baby Orangutan »

Bus Driver who Duct-Taped Children Charged

A South Carolina bus driver who used duct tape to discipline children on her bus has been charged with cruelty to children, Fox Carolina reported. Helen Curry, 39, is accused of duct taping the mouths and possibly the wrists of eight children, one of them being her own daughter.
The Greenville News reported that the incidents occurred between November 2007 and February 2008 and that the children ranged from the ages of 8 to 12. Curry could face a $1,600 fine if convicted, Fox Carolina reported.
Greenwood School District 51 learned of Curry’s behavior after she was terminated from her position for unrelated reasons Feb. 15. Students told the new bus driver about being duct taped, The Greenville News reported. The school contacted police immediately.
According to WYFF, Curry said that she was trying to act in the best interests of the children on the bus. "If I've got two, three or four students that are habitually making it unsafe for the other 70 on the bus I feel it's my responsibility to do what I have to do to ensure the safety of the other kids," she said. WYFF reported that she gave the children the choice of being duct taped or given an administrative write-up.