Buddhism and Feminism for Personal and Social Transformation
Women Allies for Social Change: Exploring Buddhism and Feminism for Personal and Social Transformation
16-25 July, 2010, Chiang Mai, Thailand
The course, Women Allies for Social Change: Exploring Buddhism and Feminism for Personal and Social Transformation, will bring together an international community of women to learn and share with one another. The workshop will focus on bringing a Buddhist feminist framework to cultivating inner peace while engaging in social action in our communities and the world.
What will be covered in the course?
* An introduction to engaged Buddhist teachings
* Applying Buddhist and feminist concepts for reflection on personal life experiences and contemporary social issues
* Buddhist feminist analysis of structural violence, power, privilege and social action
* Understanding the intersections of engaged Buddhism and feminism and how each supports the other
* Building peace within through daily mindfulness practices
* Daily meditation and mindfulness practices
Who is the course open to?
IWP welcomes women of all ages, cultures, religions, and sexual preferences to join us for the course. IWP is seeking women who are engaged in social change or are interested in doing so. The course requires participants to be open to sharing, learning, and challenging themselves in a safe and supportive environment. The course will be limited to 20 participants.
What are the intended benefits to women who participate?
* Building a supportive community of women from diverse cultures and regions who have a common commitment to social change.
* A forum for women from the Global South and North to interact with one another with mutual respect and understanding.
* Time and space for personal growth and reflection in a supportive environment
* Increased knowledge and skills in social change work
* Exposure to local and international women's and peace activism
* Time and support to build peace within through daily meditation and mindfulness practice
* Simple living in a rural Thai village, healthy, organic food, and peaceful surroundings.
Dates, location and fees: The course will take place 16-25 July, 2010 near Chiang Mai, northern Thailand. Participants should plan to arrive in Chiang Mai by 15th July. The workshop is housed at IWP's retreat center in a rural Thai village about 40 minutes north of Chiang Mai. Meals are primarily vegetarian Thai dishes.
Course fees: sliding scale of $400-$600 USD for women living in the Global North, and $250 USD for women living in the Global South. Fees cover the 10-day course, including training fees, food, accommodation, and transport from Chiang Mai to the training center.
Contact Ginger Norwood at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2010 to register and reserve a space in the course.