Fruits of the City aims to capture fresh fruit that would otherwise go to waste and redistribute it to those in need. In 2009, we partnered with Second Harvest Heartland and an array of volunteers to glean over 15,000 pounds of fruit. Our goal for this year is to harvest 22,000 pounds of fruit.
How to get involved
We are excited about the potential for growth, but need your help! Fruits of the City is currently looking for:
* Volunteers to pick fruit at our gleaning events
* Homeowners to donate unwanted fruit on their trees
* Neighborhood coordinators to help organize the volunteers in designated neighborhoods
* Drivers to transport fruit from front yards to food shelves
* Donors to support our work financially
The 2010 gleaning season begins in mid-August and runs through late October. Neighborhood gleanings will be held every Thursday from 6:00 to 8:00 pm and every other Saturday from 9:00-12:00 pm, with additional dates and times to be added as the trees ripen. We are also planning to set up an orchard gleaning with Second Harvest Heartland, which you can learn about by joining our mailing list.