Location : Bogotá, COLOMBIA
Application Deadline : 26-Aug-10
Type of Contract : FTA International
Post Level : P-4
Languages Required : English, Spanish
crossposted from Peace and Collaborative Development Network
Starting Date : (date when the selected canditate is expected to start) 01-Oct-2010
Duration of Initial Contract : 1 year
Expected Duration of Assignment : 1 year
Under the general guidance of the DRR/DCD, and the direct supervision of the Peace and Development Area Coordinator acts as a manager of and advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of the Justice, Human Rights and Victims Programme. Manages a major
programme portfolio in these programmatic areas. The main role is to manage a set of projects including their continued monitoring of implementation. Leads the project coordinators team in strategic planning and identifies new initiatives in these areas while ensuring consistency with the Peace and Development area priorities and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities.
The Justice, Human Rights and Victims Programme Coordinator heads and supervises
Project Coordinators and works in close collaboration with the Area Coordinator, the Management Support and Operations teams in the CO, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the programme.
Coordinate, supervise and provide orientation and guidance to the professional and technical staff hired for the implementation of the Programme and projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
* Ensuring the strategic direction of the Justice, Human Rights and Victims Programme as key interventions in the Peace, Development and Reconciliation Area.
* Management of the programme basket funds and supervision of the project teams.
* Strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization in these programmatic areas
* Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government (in particular to the Justice System), Ombudsman,
* Civil Society Organizations and Human Rights groups and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
As a senior staff in the Peace, Development and Reconciliation Area, ensures the strategic direction of the Justice, Human Rights and Victims Programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Provide active and substantive support and contributions in the strategic planning processes of UNDP-Colombia and the Peace, Development and Reconciliation Areas.
* Identification of new strategic opportunities in these practice areas.
* Operationalization of Peace, Development and Reconciliation priorities in the Justice and Living Together areas in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies.
Identification of possibilities for joint programming.
Ensures effective management of the programme basket funds and supervision of the project teams focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following
* Design and formulation of Justice, Human Rights and Victims Programme and projects, translating the Peace,
* Development and Reconciliation priorities into local interventions. Coordination of the programme/projects implementation with all the partners.
* Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the programme and projects under his/her responsibility. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme and projects environment, timely readjustment of them when needed.
* Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
* Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization in cooperation with the Peace, Development and Reconciliation Area Coordinator focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
* Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, civil society and Human Rights organizations, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, etc.
* Determination of programmatic results, based on strategic goals on the Peace, Development and Reconciliation area, country needs and donors' priorities.
* Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation in his/her area of intervention, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned
directly linked to the Justice, Human Rights and Victims Programme goals.
* Coordination of development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in his/her area of intervention in collaboration with the Government, civil society, Human Rights organizations and other strategic partners.
* Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
* Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
* Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme and reaching UNDAF/ CPD goals. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource
mobilization targets in the Justice, Human Rights and Victims Programme.
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
* Knowledge Management and Learning
* Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
* Development and Operational Effectiveness
* Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
* Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
* Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
* Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
* Good ICT skills, knowledge of Atlas
* Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
* Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
* Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
Master's Degree or equivalent in Law, Political Sciences, Economics, Social Sciences or related field.
* 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design,
monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects in
territories, institutional strengthening and establishing
inter-relationships among international organizations and national
* Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
* Desirable experience and knowledge in Gender Based Violence (GBV).
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Spanish.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are
equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the