Go to HHH home page.

We have moved!

Global Notes has moved to a new home at http://globalnotes.hhh.umn.edu/. Please visit us there, and update your bookmarks.

Internship abroad this summer? Check out UMN regulations for travel insurance and travel to countries on warning list

Please be aware that UMN requirements to purchase CISI insurance and seek permission for any country on the DOS travel warning list (and some that may be on other lists, like CDC) apply to all students on any university program abroad, or any overseas program connected to their studies at UMN, even if organized through another organization including internships, field experiences, capstones, study away, research, or even a student-organized trip (if planned and promoted as UMN).


Travel Approval

The University of Minnesota encourages its students to participate in education experiences abroad. To minimize health and safety risks, University policy requires students, or faculty/staff leading students, traveling to countries on the U.S. Department of State's travel warning list to seek special permission.

In addition, travelers may be required to submit a request for permission to travel to locations or participate in programs that pose a specific health, safety, or security concern as indicated by authorities other than the U.S. Department of State such as the Center for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), non-U.S. government authorities (e.g., Australian or Canadian authorities), and University of Minnesota authorities.

The International Travel Risk Assessment and Advisory Committee will review requests to travel to these countries. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.

The committee review process commonly takes 6 to 8 weeks.

Career Resources

Click here for:

Career Resources