Uyisenga N'Manzi is a Rwandan organization which helps children orphaned by the genocide and AIDS to rebuild their lives. In today's Rwanda, thousands of children are growing up without the loving care of parents. They face severe trauma, isolation, poverty, ill health, and abuse.
We offer counselling, house construction, legal advice, educational support, and medical help to give Rwanda's orphans hope for a better future.
We believe the best way to help children is to give them the skills they need to help themselves. Our unique approach brings children together into associations where they give each other emotional support and learn about counselling, their human rights, and ways to make money.
In addition to our current projects, we are constructing a youth centre which will train young people in various trades and provide counselling, HIV testing, and secondary education. As well, the centre will house a nursery school, recreation spaces, and spaces available to rent out to the local population.
We hope to attract international volunteers who are skilled in various trades to come and conduct short-term trainings for the youth. These international volunteers will be responsible for the costs associated with international travel and for food, and we will provide in-country transportation and lodging at the centre in our guesthouse.
In order to attract these international volunteers, we feel that a very professional website is needed to promote our organization and represent it as reputable and trustworthy. This six week internship (May 23, 2011 - July 3, 2011) will have you working alongside our organization to create a new website (their current website is http://uyisenga.wordpress.com). You will use your IT skills to develop a new, professional website complete with the following sections:
* Who we are, our history, meet the staff
* What we do, where we work, our programs
* Photo gallery, latest news
* Get involved, donate now (online credit card transactions)
* Volunteer with us (skilled trade workers, local volunteers, international volunteers)
* Contact us (address, phone number, email, and online contact form)
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Traits:
* Excellent English language skills: impeccable spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
* Ability to multi-task, delegate, manage time well, and work as part of a team.
* Cross-cultural skills: ability to relate well to and fit in with people from different cultures and backgrounds. Open-minded, flexible, patient, respectful of cultural norms. Sensitive to how one's actions may affect others.
* Thinks critically and acts logically to evaluate situations, solve problems, and make decisions. Maintains composure in stressful situations or when under pressure.
* Good health and low maintenance. Able to travel to remote areas.
The successful applicant will be teamed up to work alongside a Rwandan intern to develop a website for Uyisenga N'Manzi. Preference will be given to current college/university students or recent graduates in the IT field. You will gain valuable work experience while contributing to an organization that provides children and youth with the opportunities that we take for granted. This internship will allow you to build your CV to improve your future career opportunities and give you an unforgettable cross-cultural experience.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
* You must bring your own laptop with converter (outlets have two round pins)
* You will work 3-4 days per week in the office and 1 day per week at one of the organization's outside programs (working with children and youth)
* You will be responsible for international airfare to and from Kigali, food, and personal expenses
* Because you will be staying at a homestay and they will provide some meals for you, you are expected to pay your homestay $200 US for the 6 week period to cover the cost of food
* Vaccinations, medications, and other health expenses
* Visa (if required)
* Trip cancellation insurance (optional)
What Will Be Provided:
* Pre-departure information and support, including fundraising tips and ideas
* In-country transportation, including airport pick-up/drop-off and travel to/from work, with the exception of some transport costs for individual fieldwork activities
* In-country orientation and logistics coordination
* Accommodations at a homestay (with private room, running water, and electricity)
* Basic medical travel insurance (not including trip cancellation insurance)
* Any software required for website design and development
How to Apply:
Please send your CV, cover letter, three references (personal, academic, and professional), and any examples of previous website work to uyisenga.internship(at)gmail.com. Your cover letter should outline your skills, traits, and qualifications, as well as why you want to participate in this internship. Deadline to apply is March 7, 2011. Candidates who are selected for an interview will be notified by March 10, 2011. The internship runs from May 23, 2011 - July 3, 2011, but if you wish to extend your stay, you are welcome at your own expense.