The Office of the Director of National Intelligence's (ODNI) National Security Analysis and Intelligence Summer Seminar (NSAISS) will allow participants to study and learn from analysts and senior officials in the Intelligence Community (IC) during an intensive two-week residential seminar. Application Deadline April 3, 2011
NSAISS 2011 will be held July 10-22, 2011 in Washington, D.C.
Applicants will be university graduate students or exceptional graduating seniors with proven plans for ongoing graduate study. Graduate students pursuing degrees in academic disciplines such as life and physical sciences, engineering, mathematics, computer sciences, social sciences, medicine, veterinary medicine and law that might not be traditionally considered directly related to national security are encouraged to apply.
NSAISS participants will be introduced to the business of intelligence and will interact with senior officials, current intelligence analysts, and private sector experts to explore intelligence disciplines, methodologies, and substantive topics through a curriculum of lectures, panels, case studies, simulations, and site visits to agencies.
Tentatively, the NSAISS will be presented by the Philip Merrill Center for Strategic Studies of the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies of Johns Hopkins University in partnership with the Office of the Director of National Intelligence's Director for Analysis, Chief Human Capital Officer and Centers of Academic Excellence Program.
Selected participants will receive:
* Hands-on experiences and exclusive training with intelligence analysts and other experts
* Reimbursement for expenses related to the participation in NSAISS 2011 including travel, meals, and incidental expenses
* Accommodations and local transportation to NSAISS-related activities
* Temporary "SECRET" security clearance for the duration of the seminar
* Course materials
NOTE: ODNI reserves the right to make no awards or to cancel this Program. ODNI assumes no liability for canceling the Program or for anyone's failure to receive actual notification of cancellation.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
* U.S. citizenship by the application deadline.
* At least 21 years of age as of July 10, 2011.
* Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) including Fall 2010 term.
* Student currently enrolled in a Masters or Ph.D. program.
* Student not currently enrolled in an academic program for Spring 2011 but planning to attend graduate school in Fall 2011. Applicant must show proof of enrollment in or acceptance to a graduate school program by June 30, 2011.
* Undergraduate senior planning to graduate before June 30, 2011 and planning to attend graduate school in Fall 2011. Applicant must show proof of enrollment in or acceptance to a graduate school program by June 30, 2011.
* Demonstrate interest in pursuing or seriously exploring a long-term career in areas related to national security.
* Excellent oral and written communication, research, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
* Eligible to receive an ad hoc "Secret" security clearance which shall be valid only during the duration of the NSAISS.
* Available to participate in the two-week seminar without interruptions.
NSAISS is NOT open to federal government employees, contractors, or active duty military.
Students who applied but did not participate in a previous NSAISS and who are still eligible may apply for the NSAISS 2011.