The Acara Summer Institute (SI) is an intensive program to help budding social entrepreneurs refine their plans and prepare to turn them into reality. It is a practical hands-on opportunity to take your great idea to market, to create a high impact venture. It consists of classroom and field experience, including time with successful social ventures in South India. The SI is a program of the Institute on the Environment at the University of Minnesota, hosted by Honeywell Technology Solutions Lab, Bangalore, India. Participating individuals are from leading organizations include Quicksand, India Institute of Management - Bangalore, Covenant Center of Development (CCD), Samuha, InKlude Labs, international NGOs, and more - all successful individuals who will share how they turned their dreams into reality. The SI 2011 will be a great learning and networking opportunity. It will be held between June 27-July 15 in Bangalore, India.
Who should attend?
Social entrepreneurs and leaders of socially-oriented organizations. Acara does not make a distinction about what constitutes a social entrepreneur. Acara develops leaders interested in social change by helping them to view their challenges through the eyes of an entrepreneur. These leaders may be in NGOs, businesses, or any other kind of organization, but all have the opportunity to be a change leader.
What can you expect?
* Field visit to CCD or Samuha to learn & observe first-hand how a successful social venture works
* Design thinking workshop taught by Quicksand.
* Community Relationships by Sridhar Pabbisetty, from a leading international NGO.
* Rural Innovation in India by Narayan Ramachandran, InKlude labs.
* Lectures from IIM-Bangalore faculty.
* Opportunity to interact with technical and marketing experts from Honeywell, venture experts from the University of Minnesota.
* Opportunity to pitch to a panel of investors and incubators.
Participants from India: INR 25,000 per person.Participants from outside India: $1500 USD per person. Includes mid day meal, local group transportation. Does not include lodging but Acara can provide help with local arrangements.
Acara-sponsored teams receive a substantial scholarship, please contact us for further details. Acara does not recommend individual attendees but at least two attendees per team. If you want to bring more than two, please contact us. Teams must also have spent at least a week in the field in the community where they are planning their venture.
Email Arun Patre with the following details and for more information. Please contact by May 16, 2011.
* Company brief
* Social value proposition
* Story since inception
* Team profile
* Why do you want to attend the Acara Summer Institute?