The Foreign Policy Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring the American public to learn more about the world. Founded in 1918, the Foreign Policy Association serves as a catalyst for developing awareness, understanding of, and providing informed opinions on global issues. Through its balanced, nonpartisan programs and publications, the FPA encourages citizens to participate in the foreign policy process.
The Communications and Marketing department is responsible for the organization's media relations, message development, publications, advertising and marketing. The department works to maximize the presence of FPA in print, broadcast, and online media outlets and on promoting FPA's roster of products, which include on-the-record events, FPA publications, PBS Television Series, global job board, FPA University, online publications and blogs. The department also works to ensure that FPA experts are visible in the media.
The responsibilities of the intern will include (but are not limited to):
• Maintaining the media contact database
• Promoting FPA events and news to media outlets
• Editing online event coverage
• Fielding public inquiries about FPA and media requests for experts
• Tracking and recording media mentions of FPA
• Assisting staff at on-the-record events
• Providing general administrative support
• Academic major in Communications, Journalism, or International Relations
• Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
• Ability to multitask and work well collectively in a fast-paced environment
• Good organizational skills and attention to detail
· Interns will gain hands-on experience in non-profit communications work, including an insider's view of professional media relations
· Interns will increase their professional writing and editing skills
This is a six month internship in FPA's New York City headquarters, a modest monthly stipend is available.
To apply please email a cover letter describing your experience and interest in marketing and communications along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org