Please notice the deadline for applications is Monday, May 2, 2011.
Alliance for Peacebuilding
1320 19th Street, NW Suite 410
Washington, DC 20036
President and Chief Executive Officer, Alliance for Peacebuilding
The Alliance for Peacebuilding (AfP) is a membership-based network of organizations and professionals worldwide devoted to help build sustainable peace and security. In addition to member services, AfP runs several programs, including The BEFORE Project (in partnership with swisspeace), the Global Symposium of Peaceful Nations (in partnership with the Fulbright Center and in cooperation with the Institute for Economics and Peace), advocacy initiatives (in partnership with the 3D Security Initiative), and the Collaboration Connections program. AfP also carries out several projects in cooperation with USIP, including the Peacebuilding Evaluation Project. In 2011, AfP began to develop the Peacebuilding Systems Project to apply evidence-based holistic models for Peacebuilding, Human Development, and Security. For more information on the Alliance for Peacebuilding, please visit our website at www.allianceforpeacebuilding.org.
AfP is seeking a recognized leader in the peacebuilding community to serve as President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and lead all aspects of an active, multifaceted membership organization of over 75 organizations and hundreds of peacebuilding professionals. The CEO will manage and develop a current staff of two full-time and two part-time employees, plus interns, with an overall budget of $1.5 million. The CEO serves as a member (Ex Officio/non-voting) of AfP's Board of Directors, as well as the Executive Committee. The position is based in the Washington, DC area but requires occasional national and international travel. Start date will be on or around July 1, 2011.
The CEO will manage the organization, working with the board, members, and staff. The CEO will be expected to facilitate: 1) growth and progress of the organization and the larger field of peacebuilding, 2) networking and collaboration among members, 3) promotion of members' work, and 4) generating the resources needed to achieve goals and objectives. Tasks will include project development, fundraising and donor relations, outreach to key constituencies, consensus building both externally and internally, and representation of Alliance members and projects to US Government agencies (State Department, USAID, DoD, etc.) USIP, US Congress and the UN. In addition, the CEO will cultivate and develop connections with organizations devoted to good governance, human rights, economic development, the environment and other factors that impact issues of war and peace.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
* Enthusiasm and commitment to the organization's mission*
* Expertise and facility in peacebuilding, conflict resolution, and mediation, both conceptually and as professional fields*
* Record of successful fundraising, including identifying potential donors, cultivating relationships, and securing donations*
* Excellent writing and oral communication skills*
* Demonstrated organization management skills*
* Experience convening a range of sectors and stakeholders to achieve a common purpose
* Strong professional network and networking skills
* Substantial international experience
* Experience with and knowledge of policy issues and cause advocacy
* Flexible, proactive, independent and team-oriented work ethic
* At least fifteen years of experience managing a network or membership-based organization, including visibility through speeches and publications
* Experience in project monitoring, evaluation, and documentation
* Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
* Minimum qualifications
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and a list of 3 references to: email@example.com.
Deadline to apply: May 2, 2011. The position will be filled as soon as a well qualified person is identified.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered. The Alliance for Peacebuilding is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes resumes from all qualified applicants, particularly women and minorities.