The Global Fund for Women. New York, NY, USA
The Global Fund for Women. New York, NY, USA
The Director of Major Gifts, Eastern Region is a member of the Development team and is charged with overseeing the East Coast office's fundraising activities, including: developing cultivation and solicitation strategies for major donors; stewarding a portfolio of major donors based in the East /Midwest; and managing activities of the NY office which includes representation of the organization at external events. This position will be responsible for a portfolio of major donors residing in the eastern and Midwest areas of the US, with a focus on the NY Metropolitan Area, Chicago, Boston, key markets in Florida and Washington, DC, traveling regularly to meet with donors. This position contributes substantially to raising $4-5 million from East /Midwest-based individual and institutional donors, with a primary focus on major donor cultivation and solicitation. The Director of Major Gifts reports to the VP of Development and supervises the Major Gifts Associate, East Coast and Administrative Assistant, NY.
Essential Job Functions:
Major Gifts Program
* With the VP of Development and in coordination with the Director of Major Gifts, Western Region, develop and oversee a comprehensive annual plan for East/Midwest major gifts, including new strategies to increase giving from the current major donor pool and to increase the number of major donors
* Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of major donors and major donor prospects, primarily in the eastern/midwest US, with the capacity to make five and six figure gifts. Through cultivation and solicitation of these donors contribute substantially to raising revenue of $4 million + annually
* Set strategies and incentives for upgrading major donors and for encouraging stretch gifts
* Ensure that the VP Development and the President and CEO's time is used strategically and efficiently for major donor fundraising
* Work closely with the VP of Programs to coordinate and leverage program staff and grantees in fundraising
* Build and maintain relationships with Board members, members of the Philanthropy Committee of the Board, and the East Coast Corporate Leadership Council to leverage their networks and involve them with cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donors
* Ensure donor data is properly recorded in the database and that all donor information is maintained with respect to confidentiality
* Maintain the integrity of donor relationships and the Global Fund for Women's fundraising philosophy
* Stay informed and knowledgeable about Programmatic activities, maintaining the capacity to converse knowledgeably with donors about diverse areas of the Global Fund's work
* Be actively integrated into the feminist movement and women oriented philanthropies to leverage for Global Fund for Women
Supervision and Leadership
* Meet regularly with the Director of Philanthropic Partnerships, the Director of Major Gifts, Western Region, Events Manager and the Director of Annual Giving to provide day-to-day leadership for the Development team, along with the VP of Development
* Supervise, develop, and mentor the Major Gifts Associate and Administrative Assistant, NY. Provide strategic guidance to other staff engaged in major gifts work
* Manage the day-to-day activities of the NY Office, including, but not limited to: office management and office connectivity (IT)
* Create and monitor the NY Office budget, and supervise monitoring and development of the Special Events budget for the organization
* Collaborate as needed with Finance and Grants Administration on restricted gifts, planned gifts, special appeals, support for audit preparation, and reconciliations
* Support a learning environment within the East /Midwest Major Gifts Program and across the organization
* Engage Program staff in donor outreach and NYC special events, and provide mentorship on donor cultivation to Program staff as needed
* With the staff of the NYC Office, receive grantee or Advisor visitors to the NY office
* As requested, attend UN or peer organization meetings or briefings on behalf of the Program Team.
* Demonstrated success and effectiveness in relationship building and cultivation of individual major donors
* Ability to ask for and close gifts of six and seven figures
* Entrepreneurial spirit, a self-starter with the enthusiasm and energy to implement new strategies and meet ambitious goals
* Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and build relationships with people from a wide diversity of backgrounds and cultures
* Demonstrated ability to manage an office, including the ability to supervise, develop, and engage staff, with a strong commitment to collaboration
* An ability to think strategically and execute tactically
* A commitment to international women's rights and a strong desire to support global women's rights movements and women's initiatives
* Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
* Flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced environment, with an excellent follow through
* Strong organization skills, decision-making, and delegation skills
* Fluency with Apple computers, Microsoft Office applications
* Willingness and ability to travel to meet with major donors within the US (with a focus on the New York Metropolitan Area, Chicago, Boston, and Washington, DC)
* Fluency in a language in addition to English
* Skill with FileMaker, Raiser's Edge, or other fundraising databases
* Familiarity with prospect research tools
Education and Experience
* Minimum of 6-8 years professional experience in non-profit fundraising or external relations with experience in individual giving and major gifts
* BA/BS Required, MA/MS preferred
* International experience is preferred.
The projected start date for this position will be June-July, 2011.
All pages of the application should be typed and should include the following:
* Cover letter, with the applicant's current contact information
* Resume, including references with contact information
To submit your application materials, please visit our website:
Alternatively, you may mail them to
Global Fund for Women
Attn: Human Resources
222 Sutter Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA, USA 94108
Please do not submit mailed applications in folders or binders.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE! Please note: due to the volume of applications we receive, we will not process incomplete applications.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.