Tetra Tech DPK seeks a Land Conflict Resolution Expert for a USAID-funded program in Afghanistan.
General Role and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Chief of Party, the Land Conflict Resolution Expert will serve as a member of the management team and ensure the effective implementation of project activities. The Land Conflict Resolution Expert will ensure effective implementation of project activities to develop improved land conflict and dispute resolution mechanisms in Afghanistan including: evaluating land conflict and dispute resolution mechanisms and developing and implementing a strategy to strengthen land dispute resolution including facilities, rules of evidence, what constitutes valid evidence of ownership, mechanisms to support uniformity and accountability of decision making (guidelines, appeals, rules of precedent, advisory opinions), and the effect of decisions (enforceability); assisting with a study tour(s) to view relevant land related alternative dispute resolution models in other countries; overseeing an analysis and technical assistance to strengthen Government of Afghanistan administrative land dispute resolution procedures; working with local NGOs to undertake participatory processes to develop community based dispute resolution (CBDR) rules, guidelines, and tools for implementing the law on dispute resolution shuras and jirgas; developing on-demand services for land dispute resolution nationwide including Mobile Response Conflict Resolution Teams through training and other support; and building awareness of dispute resolution options including organizing regional workshops and training venues on CBDR rules and guidelines and outreach to legal aid NGOs.
* Experience working with USAID- or other international donor-funded projects
* At least five years of progressively responsible experience in development of land conflict and/or dispute resolution mechanisms
* Overseas experience, preferably in the Middle East and/or Central Asia
* Prior management experience required
* Experience working on land conflict/dispute issues in countries with Sharia law, informal, and/or customary law and dispute resolution systems desirable
* Demonstrated reporting, writing, communication, and relationship management skill
* Proven ability to develop and work within approved work plans and meet goals within agreed timeframes
* Fluency in spoken and written English is required