Sector: Program Management
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC began working in Myanmar in 2008 in response to Cyclone Nargis. In Fiscal Year 2011, IRC has an overall budget of around $4.5 million working in the areas of health, environmental health, livelihoods and civil society development. Moving into 2012, IRC plans to expand into new geographical areas, and to transition from relatively short-term emergency programming to more sustainable longer term programming.
SCOPE OF WORK:
This short-term position is for an experienced senior program person who will work with in-country program staff on project technical design and proposal preparation on a number of priority projects. Priorities will be determined in consultation with the Country Director; they will certainly include a Maternal and Child Health project, and may include a Livelihoods project. A number of major funding opportunities are anticipated in coming months, and it is expected that this position will take the lead in preparing for these opportunities, and responding to them when they are issued. The position will work closely with the Deputy Director for Programs and other senior program staff, and will be supported by the Grants Manager. The position will report directly to the Country Director.
Exact tasks and responsibilities will vary from one project to another, but are likely to include:
* Leading development of strategy and work plan for agreed priority sectors/projects, including (where appropriate) preparation for and response to specific funding opportunities
* Leading information and intelligence gathering, needs assessments, establishing baselines, discussions with potential partners
* Detailed technical design work in conjunction with program staff and Technical Unit input
* All aspects of proposal development, including budgeting, monitoring and evaluation plans etc
* Program management experience at senior level (e.g. Program Coordinator, Deputy Director of Programs or Country Director)
* Minimum 6-8 years of relevant experience
* Proven abilities in all aspects of quality project design
* Extensive experience in proposal development with a range of donors including EuropeAid, ECHO, DFID
* Excellent writing skills
* Proven ability to work collaboratively with national staff and to liaise with local partner organizations and other INGOs
* Understanding and expertise in budgeting processes
* Experience in design of health and livelihoods projects
* Public health technical expertise highly desirable
The position will be based in the IRC Country Office in Yangon. Individual apartment housing will be provided, including telephone and internet connections.