The last IPID Talk of the year will be on Improving Education in Indonesia: A Focus on Islamic Schools. Dr. Zuliati Rohmah, a Humphrey Fellow from Indonesia will be leading the discussion.
Take a break from the end of the semester rigors and chew on some development chat; bring friends too. It looks like it will be much food for thought. Stay fresh. Ben
IPID Talk on Tuesday, 13 December 2011, from 13:00 - 14.00 p.m. in Room 70 of the Minnesota Population Center (50 Willey Hall). Click here for a campus map: http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/maps/WilleyH
The topic will be: Improving Education in Indonesia: A Focus on Islamic Schools. Zuliati Rohmah, A Humphrey Fellow from Indonesia from will be hosting this IPID Talk. Taking into account how busy everyone must be at this time in the semester, Zuliati's selected some websites that will give you a basic gist of the education system and Islamic schools in Indonesia and some videos for you to watch before coming to the talk. And, if you do have the time, she's also attached an article for your reading pleasure.
Brief introduction to education in Indonesia:
Islamic schools in Indonesia: http://conference.nie.edu.sg/2009/downloads/suzaina_kadir_2009_rp_religion_panel_address.pdf
Optional article: http://www.tandfonline.com.ezp2.lib.umn.edu/doi/abs/10.1080/13603110500430765
12:00-12:10 Introduction of the topic.
12:10-12:50 Structured discussion.
12:50-01:00 Last thoughts.
Questions framing the discussion:
1. Based on the readings on the brief introduction to education in Indonesia and Islamic schools in Indonesia, how do you understand the position of Islamic schools in the whole education system in Indonesia?
2. From the video you've watched, what are the major challenges of Islamic schools in Indonesia that you can highlight?
3. How to improve the quality of education in Islamic schools in Indonesia?
4. Do you think the Indonesian government provides adequate attention to Islamic schools in Indonesia?
5. What strategies do you think can help increase the community involvement in improving the quality of Islamic schools in Indonesia?