Job Posting: Civic Education Expert - Beirut, Lebanon and remote
IREX_V Position: Civic Education Expert
Location: Beirut, Lebanon and remote
Reports To: Programme Manager
Application Deadline: December 17, 2011
About IREX and IREX/Europe
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing thought leadership and innovative programs to promote positive lasting change globally. We enable local individuals and institutions to build key elements of a vibrant society: quality education, independent media, and strong communities. To strengthen these sectors, our program activities also include conflict resolution, technology for development, women and youth.
Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $60 million and a staff of over 500 professionals worldwide. IREX employs field-tested methods and innovative uses of technologies to develop practical and locally-driven solutions with our partners in more than 100 countries.
IREX Europe is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation providing innovative programmes to improve the quality of education, strengthen independent media, foster pluralistic civil society development, and reduce conflict. The IREX Europe approach emphasizes partnerships with local development organisations to expand capacity, build sustainable institutions and affect change through training, partnerships, education, research and grant programmes.
IREX Europe, registered as an association in France, has an annual turn-over of €1.8 million with funding support from multiple donors, including the EU, United Nations, and the British, Czech, and US governments. Deriving its founding principles from its network partner IREX, IREX Europe has worked in more than 24 countries for the benefit of people striving to live in fairer, freer and more prosperous societies.
Summary of Position
IREX/Europe seeks a Civic Education Expert to provide technical expertise and policy, research, and management support to an EU citizenship education reform programme in Lebanon. The goal of the programme is to establish an enabling learning environment in public schools that fosters active citizenship behaviours among students. The Civic Education Expert will coordinate with national and local level stakeholders and partners to assess current civic education curricula and practice and develop updated curricula and materials for students, as well as training and programming for teachers, administrators, parents, and youth. The position is contingent on funding.
This position will be at 70% time for a period of 30 months. Of the 70% time, IREX/Europe anticipates that the Expert will spend approximately 80% of this time in Beirut, Lebanon and the remainder working remotely.
Summary of Responsibilities:
In close coordination with national/local-level stakeholders, as well as the programme manager and local partners, the Civic Education Expert will:
· Analyze current citizenship/civic education practises both at Primary and Secondary levels
· Review government plan of actions, including advise on budgeting and financing
· Conduct a civic education curriculum and textbook review
· Develop of educational materials
· Develop Training-of-Trainers curricula and deliver training for teachers, administrators, parents, and other stakeholders.
· Review the student assessment system and develop of student assessment materials
· Monitor and support program implementation
Skills and Qualifications:
Candidates need a minimum five years progressive technical experience in the following areas:
· Civic education, citizenship education, global education, and/or social studies education
· Experience in teacher training, curriculum development, and/or development of student assessment systems.
· Proven ability to negotiate successfully with multiple stakeholders, including national and local government and diverse ethnic/religious groups
· Experience with EU grants preferred
· International work experience supporting education system reform strongly preferred. Experience in the Middle East a benefit.
· Proven cross-cultural communication skills
· Fluency in English required; ability in Arabic preferred.
· All nationalities may apply.
Go to http://www.irex.org/careers and click on Current Openings. Then click on the corresponding position and apply through our website. Please supply a resume and a cover letter with your application.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Teresa Pritchett, Administrative Assistant/Receptionist tpritchett(at)irex.org
2121 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20037
Phone: 202 628 8188 ext. 150
Fax: 202 628 8189
sent by Lynne R. Schuman
Director of Career Services
Humphrey School of Public Affairs
University of Minnesota