On behalf of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), I invite you to participate in the next Academic Conference Call on Thursday, March 8, from 11:00 am to noon (CT) in HHH 173. Sheila A. Smith, CFR's senior fellow for Japan studies, will discuss the one-year anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and U.S.-Japan relations.
Dr. Smith directed the "New Regional Security Architecture" project for CFR's Asia Program, and currently leads the CFR project, "China and India as Emerging Powers: Challenge or Opportunity for the United States and Japan?" She also writes for the blog Asia Unbound. Dr. Smith joined CFR from the East-West Center in 2007, where she specialized in Asia-Pacific international relations and U.S. policy toward Asia.
As background for the discussion, please review the Rebuild Japan Initiative Foundation's website, http://rebuildjpn.org/en/. In addition, you may wish to disseminate the following materials:
1) Sheila A. Smith, "Asia Unbound," CFR blog.
2) Andy Sharp and Toru Fujioka, "Nuclear-Free Summer Looms Over Japan's West in Risk to Growth," Bloomberg, February 28, 2012. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-28/nuclear-free-summer-looms-over-japan-s-west-in-risk-to-growth.html
3) Martin Fackler, "Japan Weighed Evacuating Tokyo in Nuclear Crisis," New York Times, February 27, 2012.
4) Eric Heginbotham, Ely Ratner, and Richard J. Samuels, "Tokyo's Transformation: How Japan is Changing-and What it Means for the United States," Foreign Affairs, September/October 2011. http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/68213/eric-heginbotham-ely-ratner-and-richard-j-samuels/tokyos-transformation?gp=68073:e30b31974f735e6d&cid=EMC-ACCinvite-Heginbotham_Tokyo_Transformation-022812
5) Sheila A. Smith, "Japan's New Prime Minister: Staying in Power for the Long Haul," ForeignAffairs.com, August 30, 2011. http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/68235/sheila-smith/japans-new-prime-minister/?cid=EMC-ACCinvite-Smith_Japan's_New_Prime_Minister-022912
6) Sheila A. Smith, "Japan's Nuclear Quandary," East Asia Forum, August 9, 2011. http://www.cfr.org/japan/japans-nuclear-quandary/p25618/?cid=ACCinvite-EMC-Smith-Japan's Nuclear Quandry-022912
Irina A. Faskianos Vice President, National Program & Outreach, Council on Foreign Relations
58 East 68th Street, New York, New York 10065 www.cfr.org