TITLE: Program Officer-Civil Society Division
Division: Civil Society
REPORTS TO: Senior Program Officer-Civil Society Division
POSITION LOCATION: Washington, DC
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing thought leadership and innovative programs to promote positive lasting change globally. We enable local individuals and institutions to build key elements of a vibrant society: quality education, independent media, and strong communities. To strengthen these sectors, our program activities also include conflict resolution, technology for development, women and youth.
Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $70 million and a staff of over 400 professionals worldwide. IREX employs field-tested methods and innovative uses of technologies to develop practical and locally-driven solutions with our partners in more than 120 countries.
IREX seeks a qualified professional to fill the position of Program Officer - Civil Society Division. The Program Officer will be an integral part of the team working on IREX's technology for development programs with specific responsibilities for the Global Libraries Moldova Program. The Program Officer will oversee components of daily headquarters support of the Global Libraries program, provide financial oversight, and contribute to new business development. The position will be based in Washington DC with travel to Moldova.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Have responsibility for coordination and implementation of assigned programs, including providing strategic guidance to field staff and monitoring the work of support staff at HQ
· Coordinate with technology for development team to ensure complementary use of program resources, staff, and knowledge
· Monitor all program components and workplans, ensuring program deliverables are being met
· Maintain effective relations and coordination with program donors and partners
· Recruit appropriate consultants and negotiate terms and scopes of work in accordance with IREX policies
· Coordinate program publicity and outreach, including producing regular news and program updates; promoting program successes to a variety of audiences
· Ensure that all fiscal and performance activities are in compliance with IREX policies and procedures & USG regulations.
· Contribute to new business development efforts, including assessments and proposal writing
· Provide supervision, mentoring and guidance to junior staff and interns
University degree in relevant field, masters preferred
Minimum 4 years experience in international development, preferably focused on civil society, access to information, and/or technology for development
Demonstrated program management experience
Superior writing, editing and oral presentation skills, evidenced by professional experience and success
Strong organizational skills including ability to prioritize and multi-task
Experience with data analysis tools, such as SPSS, preferred
Proven ability to work as part of a team
Flexibility, and enthusiasm for IREX programs
Russian or Romanian language skills strongly preferred
Candidates with a background in library science or experience working with libraries are especially encouraged.
Go to http://www.irex.org/careers and click on Current Openings. Then click on the corresponding position and apply through our website. Please supply a resume and a cover letter with your application.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
2121 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20037
Phone: 202 628 8188 ext. 150
Fax: 202 628 8189