The Project on Middle East Democracy (POMED) is now hiring a Senior Research Associate to oversee and help expand POMED's research program. Responsibilities include editing POMED's ongoing series of policy briefs, supporting the work of POMED's civil society partners in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), producing original research, and helping formulate POMED's positions on key debates regarding U.S. policy in the MENA region.
The Project on Middle East Democracy (POMED) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to examining how genuine democracies can develop in the Middle East and how the United States can best support that process. Through research, dialogue, and advocacy, we work to strengthen the constituency for U.S. policies that peacefully support democratic reform in the Middle East. POMED is an energetic and dynamic organization that seeks to have an impact on the Washington policy community at this historic time of political change in the Middle East and North Africa.
The Senior Research Associate will be expected to:
- Serve as editor of POMED's policy brief series, which focuses on various aspects of U.S. policy and the impact on democratic development in the Middle East and North Africa. This task includes identifying potential topics and authors for policy briefs, soliciting written briefs from leading experts, editing for style and content, and disseminating products to policy audiences.
- Help provide guidance to POMED's civil society partner organizations in the region (currently in Tunisia, Egypt, and Libya) as they build their capacity to produce policy-oriented research similar to that produced by POMED. This will include giving input and advice on topics of focus and feedback on policy products prior to publication.
- Closely follow debates regarding U.S. foreign policy and political developments in the MENA region and help formulate POMED's positions on key issues related to U.S. policy.
- Develop curricula, select speakers, and facilitate seminars that will equip mid-career policy professionals with the analytical framework necessary to support democracy in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Publish occasional reports and articles providing background information regarding key developments in the MENA region and providing analysis of such developments for policy audiences.
- Help identify new opportunities for POMED to influence policy debates in Washington.
- Oversee the continued development of country pages for 19 countries in the Middle East and North Africa for the POMED website.
- Provide assistance in editing and input on content for all POMED publications.
Successful candidates will have a graduate degree and five to seven years of relevant work experience, including research on U.S. policy in the Middle East and North Africa. They should have exceptionally strong writing, research, analytical, and communication skills. In addition, they must demonstrate initiative, creativity, experience producing work under pressure and on deadline, and an ability to respond quickly to unexpected developments and seize research opportunities that may arise. Candidates should have knowledge of and experience in the Middle East as well as a deep commitment to POMED's mission. Experience working in the U.S. government is highly desirable, as is experience working with civil society actors abroad, particularly in the MENA region. Proficiency in Arabic language is preferred, and language skills in Persian, French, or Turkish are helpful but not necessary.
Contact: Anna Newby
Telephone: 202-828-9660, ext 23
Please send a resume and cover letter to research.position(at)pomed.org. We will begin reviewing application materials on August 1, 2012.
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Project on Middle East Democracy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply. Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
crossposted from Foreign Policy Assn.
Salary Range: Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
Sector: Non Profit
Organization URL: http://pomed.org/get-involved/#.UBBN-WH2JI4
Experience: Mid Career
Last Date To Apply Aug-1-2012 Date Posted Jul-25-2012