From HHH alum Brandon Wu: "Here's a good one for anyone with Chinese language skills (easy) and familiarity with the Chinese environmental movement (harder)... FOE is a great group" Brandon Wu, Senior Policy Analyst, ActionAid USA
Friends of the Earth U.S. is fighting to defend the environment and create a more healthy and just world. We're part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in 76 countries on today's most urgent environmental and social issues.
In accomplishing our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world values people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax or trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
For decades, Friends of the Earth has advocated for the development and implementation of environmental and social financing standards at international development banks such as the World Bank. In the past five years, we have promoted sustainable finance policies and practices at Chinese banks, through our research and by working with Chinese environmentalists. We have also supported communities outside of China that have been impacted by Chinese overseas investments, particularly in the areas of oil, gas and mining.
We are seeking to hire a talented and dedicated individual to work with grassroots organizations both within and outside China to promote sustainable finance policies and practices. This position can be based in either of Washington DC or San Francisco office and will work with partner groups from around the world.
· Develop and implement strategic programs on Chinese sustainable finance with Economic Policy Director;
· Represent Friends of the Earth within various networks of non-governmental organizations, financiers, and policymakers;
· Conduct research and analysis to develop publications, including the China Sustainable Finance newsbulletin and various reports;
· Support environmental organizations with capacity building, publicity, networking, translation, and other assistance.
· Authorized to work in the United States
· Intermediate knowledge of written and spoken Mandarin, at minimum
· Two years experience with a non-governmental organization, working on international issues
Skills and Knowledge:
· Strong skills in intercultural relations
· Knowledge of the Chinese environmental movement
· Familiarity with international social and environmental norms
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes healthcare, paid vacation, sick leave, and an employee contribution-based retirement plan.
E-mail cover letter with salary requirement, along with resume and short writing sample, to jobs(at)foe.org with the subject heading "China Sustainable Finance Coordinator." No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.
Friends of the Earth US
Job Title: China Sustainable Finance Coordinator
Position reports to: Economic Policy Director
Position Location: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC