« | Main | Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger »

Social Design Issue

The University Of Minnesota is a school that is known for it's students to be mainly padestrians when it comes to their transportation around campus. When thinking about getting from one place to another around campus the first thing that comes to my mind is, how long is it going to take me to walk there? And I find this common among the majority of my peers. But what about those cold winter days and nights when it is -8 degrees with the wind blowing straight in your face? I don't feel like I wanna walk anywhere, I wanna jump in my car and drive where I have to go. But there is one major problem with that decision. Parking. Trying to find a parking spot on this campus seems almost impossible, and getting one close to your destination is even harder. Then we must think about cost. If you don't have a quarter on you for every 12 minutes you plan to be gone, it's a parking ticket on the windshield. But if you prefer or have to park in a ramp, be prepared to get multiple bills out and ready to hand them over. I realize on a large campus like ours with limited space parking is hard to accomodate for, but lets get real, we do live in Minnesota where it gets pretty cold and sometimes I just don't feel like freezing my ass off. But I realize we can't forget about the busses. I do use the campus connector busses multiple times a day to get to St. Paul, but the city bus not so much. A few weeks ago I went to Walmart on the city bus and the whole trip took 2 hours and 15 minutes. I only spent 30 minutes actually shopping. The walk to the bus and back along with the 45 minute ride to Walmart all added up to take up way too much of my day. I would rather drive (when it's freezing outside, a little fresh air in the nice weather is good for the soul) but that's just me.
Part of my advocacy for this topic stems from me growing up in Northern Minnesota where we drive everywhere we go, even in the summer.

I'm not sure if I really have a solution to this issue because of the lack of space, but I'm sure someone can think of something to make it a little better.

blog 2.JPG