Century Tower

century tower 2.jpg

Hey, I dont remember seeing this building on the campus map.

Hint.
View image

This is where Charles went to school

Posted by at 5:12 PM

Journal entry for next week

There is a journal entry due next week. Please email it to us by noon on Tuesday Oct 4. Next week we will be talking about time management. In preparation for that discussion, the journal entry asks you to do the following:

Make a list of your top priorities this semester and then track your time for a few days. Then adress the following questions in your journal entry.
1. How much time did you spend studying, sleeping, socializing, working, etc? Do your actions reflect your priorities?
2. What, if anything, surprised you about how you spend your time?
3. Do you think that your current time management strategies will help or hinder your academic success? How?

PS. Speaking of time management, remember that the next few weeks of CLA 1001 will have homework assignments that will take a little bit of time to complete so plan accordingly.

Posted by at 4:58 PM

Why we dont want to live in Kansas

Dorothy. More cool stuff from this photographer at his website.

Posted by at 4:44 PM

Week 4, Sept 38

Hello y'all,
This Wednesday's class will be held in the Bell Auditorium. Make sure you have your U-Cards out at the door, for attendence purposes.
Wednesday's lecture is going to be presented by the Student Academics Success Services, it's about study skills like notetaking and reding for comprehension.
There is also going to be a journal due next week, make sure y'all have the journals to me by October 4th, at noon. It will make it possible for me to provide feedback on journals in a timely manner. See Y'all tomorrow.
Sathiya K

Posted by at 5:10 PM

Week 2

Hello Y'all,

Journal 2 is due today (20th) by noon, so make sure you have those in, they have to be e-mailed both to Charles CGrafstrom@class.cla.umn.edu and myself kart0028@umn.edu.

Class will be meeting in Blegen 415, and here is the map. In class we will be having a discussion about Dean Rosenstone's lecture.

There is also an ADFAB meeting right after class. This session is going to be really useful because it offers tours of the East Bank, West Bank, St.Paul and also all the tunnels on campus. It will go on from 3:30 to 5PM, and begins right outside Johnston Hall. If you're interested, you should sign up by e-mailing adfab@class.cla.umn.edu.I will be walking there right after class, so feel free to join me.

There is also a Radio K new volunteer meeting today at 6:30PM in the Whole in basement of Coffman Union. Radio K is a student run radio station that operates out of Rarig, on the west bank. You can do anything from fundraising to DJing. I do a lot of stuff at Radio K and it has been enjoyable. If you have any questions or want to know more, you can always e-mail me.

There is also going to be a pizza lunch that the English department is hosting on Wednesday 21st from 12PM. If any of you are interested in going, we can meet outside Lind Hall, on the side that faces Church Street at around 12PM.

See y'all on Wednesday,
Sathiya

Posted by at 8:34 AM

llamas

see for yourself

Posted by at 11:42 AM

Interested in Study Abroad?

Then check out the LEARNING ABROAD FALL FAIR

The annual Learning Abroad Fall Fair will be held Wednesday, September 21,
10:00 am–2:30 pm on the west end of the Washington Avenue bridge.

In addition to Learning Abroad Center staff, the fair will feature representatives from a host of learning abroad co-sponsors and partners. This is a great opportunity for students to communicate directly with program experts, and to get a first hand look at the breadth of international opportunities that are available.

Posted by at 11:30 AM

Upcoming Events

Hello,

I have my office hours on Mondays from 10 to 11 AM at Espresso 22. It's in the Dinkydome, which is at 1501 University Ave. Just a block over from the bell auditorium, you just want to walk on University towards 15th Ave. I would really like to get to know ya'll better. It will help me find out what kinds of activities I should tell y'all about throughout the semester. I have been at the U for a while, and did a wide variety of things. I can answer your questions or just chat. So stop by when I have office hours.

I wanted to tell y'all about homecomming week which starts this Saturday. There is going to be a lot of stuff going on, so go to thewebsite where you can check out the callender. There are also a few things going on at the Career and Community Learning Center (CCLC) which might be of interest to you.

ANNUAL ETIQUETTE DINNER

• Tuesday, October 18 (register by October 6)
  • 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
  • McNamara Alumni Center, Memorial Hall
  • Join fellow U of M students at this popular 3-course-meal catered by
    D'Amico! While there, learn how to professionally handle any dining
    situation. $14.
    Click here to go to the website!

WIDE ROAD TO LAW SCHOOL
  • Wednesday, October 5
  • 4 to 5:45 p.m.
  • U of M Law School, 25 Mondale Hall
  • Thinking about law school? Have your questions answered by a
    practicing
    attorney, the Director of Admissions from the U of M Law School, and
    CCLC's pre-law advisor.Click here to go to the website!

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT FAIR
  • Wednesday, September 21
  • 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Coffman Memorial Union, Great Hall
  • Want to help change the world without leaving the Twin Cities? Find an
    internship or volunteer opportunity that matches almost any major or
    interest. More than 85 organizations working for social change will be
    at CCLC's annual Community Involvement Fair. It's free and
    registration
    is not required. Stop by and get involved!Click here for more information.

GRADUATE SCHOOL FOR SOCIAL SCIENCES
  • Wednesday, September 28
  • noon to 1:30 p.m.
  • 110 Heller Hall
  • Are you a social sciences student interested in grad school? At this
    info session, you'll learn how to prepare for and apply to graduate
    programs that are a good fit for you. You'll also get free pizza.
    You can register here.

Hopefully I'll see some of you on Monday.
Cheers,
Sathiya

Posted by at 6:51 PM

Guidelines for answering Journal entry two

This journal entry mentions five different questions. You should not feel that you need to go down the list and answer every question. Instead use these questions to help guide your thinking as you write an integrated response (300 words, approx. 1 page) describing what you think the value of a liberal arts education is in light of what you learned from Dean Rosenstone’s lecture.

Posted by at 1:36 PM

Weekly Updates: Sept 12

Hello y'all,

I just wanted to remind you about a few things. Wednesday's class will be held in the Bell Auditorium. Here's a link that shows the exact location Bell Auditorium. Also make sure that you bring your U-Card, and have it handy so that you can swipe yourself in.

The Journal entry is also due on Wednesday before 2:15 PM, so make sure that you have e-mailed your journals to both Charles and myself by then.

I will also have office hours on Monday from 10 to 11 in Heller 575.

There will also be an ADFAB (Assistant Dean's Freshman Advisory Board) Kick-Off Ice Cream Social on Wenesday, September 14th from 3:30 to 5PM in Riverbend Plaza. I will be heading over to the Kick-Off right after class, and all of you are free to join me. You can also bring your friends along.

See y'all on Wednesday,
*sathiya

Posted by at 5:48 PM

How not to get into college.

A humorous tale of one man's quest to get the lowest possible score on the SAT exam. I am glad that none of you employed this strategy when applying to the U of M. : )

Posted by at 3:15 PM

Attaching files to e-mails

Here are the steps to successfully attaching files to your e-mails. Part 1 gets you into your e-mail, and Part 2 tells you how to attach the e-mail. Here goes:

PART 1

1)
On the address bar near the top, delete whatever is in there, and type in http://www.mail.umn.edu. From here you will jump to a new page. On this new page click on Web mail Pro: IMAP based webmail.

2)
You will again come to a new screen which asks you to type in your internet id (which is the same as your X500 number, which is the same as the digits and letters that come before the @ symbol in your U of M email address) and password. Once you type these in correctly and click the Login button. If don correctly, you should now be on your main email page. Here, click Write New Message which is located on the top left part of your screen.

3)Now you will be at a page where you compose your email. Fill in the To: field with your own email address (if you want to email this to yourself). Once you type it in, click the To button on the right side of where you typed in your email address. Type the subject and body of the email if you would like as well.

PART 2

1) To attach a file Browse and a new window should appear. In this window find the file you would like to send (if you donít see it but you know where it is, click the window bar next to Look in near the top of this window and find the appropriate location of where your file is located).

2)Once you find the file, click it (which should highlight it) and then click the Open button. Now the window should disappear, and you are back to your email composition screen. Click the Attach File button.

3)Now click the Send button on the top and you are done.

4)After sending the email, the screen will go back to your inbox. If you sent it to your U of M email, you might not see your newly sent email right away. To do so simply refresh the screen (which can be done by clicking the refresh button near the top of the navigation screen).

Hope this was helpful.

Posted by at 6:51 PM

Hate your roommate already?

Here is an article from the Star Tribune with advice on how to deal. Find it here. And here.

Posted by at 11:15 AM

A great way to start the school year!

I would like to encourage all of you to attend the new student convocation on the first day of class, September 6th. You can find information about the convocation ceremony here . Have a great first week of class!

Posted by at 1:37 PM

Week One Class Activities

Hello,

Our first class meeting will be on Wednesday September 7 from 2:30 to 3:20 PM. We will be meeting in Blegen Hall room 415. Blegen Hall is located here . See you all in class!

Posted by at 10:45 AM