Weekly Updates: Dec. 12 to Dec.19

Hello y'all,
Congrats on a successful first semsester, just keep it up. For the last CLA 1001 class on Wednesday (14th), we will be meeting in Blegen Hall. We will be talking about the semester as a whole, as well as doing some fairly easy going activities. We migh also do evals. (If we do, make sure ya'll mention that you don't want to climb up 5 flights of stairs to get to class). There isn't a journal due, so y'all can catch up on other things. See y'all in class.
Cheers*

Posted by at 9:10 AM

Week 11:Nov. 14 to Nov. 20

Hello y'all,
This Wednesday 16th, we are going to have a large group session on finances. We will be meeting at the Bell Auditorium. Make sure you bring your U-Card, so that we can take attendence.

The journal entry about CLA Connections is due on Tuesday (15th) by noon. Here is what the entry entails:
"Discuss two or three University resources that you learned about
that you were unfamiliar with before the Resource Fair.
What are two or three co-curricular opportunities (e.g., study abroad,
internships, community/volunteer involvement, student organizations,
etc) that you are interested in participating in?
What do you expect to gain from these experiences?"

Since finals are comming up, we want your study tips. On Mondays, starting on Nov. 21, the following people will post a final study tip on the Blog. It can be based on your experiences prepearing for test and midterms or based on something a professor or TA said.

• November 21: Dawn, Jamie C., and Meghan
  • Novemeber 28: Issac, Kaolee, and Jessica
  • December 4:Skylar, Marco, and Jamie K.

Remeber that the faculty interview assignment presentations are also on the Dec. 7.

Cheers,
Sathiya

Posted by at 5:19 PM

Week 9:Oct. 31- Nov.6

Hello y'all,

I hope that this week is going well for everyone.

Class this wednesday will be held in Blegen 415.

There are no journals due, this week.

Next week you have the option of attending class anytime between 12:30 to 3. There is going to be a 30 minute activity, which you can complete anytime between 12:30 and 3:30. We will talk more about it in class, on Wednesday.

See y'all on Wednesday.

Posted by at 10:47 PM

Week 8:Oct. 24 to 30

Hello,
This Wednesday, 26th we will be meeting in at the Bell Auditorium. The presentation is going to be about stress management and test taking. The presenter, Katie has read all your surveys from last week, and will try to focus in on what y'all were concerned about the most.

For the Jounal assignement the assignment guidelines are posted right under this entry. Here's also a link for future reference. It's due by noon on Tuesday, 25th.

I also heard that there is going to be a sociology test comming up in the near future. Mike (TA for the Social Sciences section) and I want to have a study session. If we have enough people, there might be a possibilty to have food. It would probably be on Saturday or Sunday. If any of y'all are interested, e-mail me with possible times/dates.

See y'all on Wednesday,
Sathiya

Posted by at 7:35 PM

Journal due next week

Reminder, you have a journal entry due next week on Tuesday, Oct 25.

In preparation for the next few weeks sessions on test taking and stress management, please write a journal entry answering the following questions.

At what points during the semester have you experienced stress?
What do you do when you are feeling stress?
Do you feel you manage your stress in an effective way?
Discuss your skills as a test taker? What types of tests do you do well on? What types of tests are you most concerned about?

Posted by at 4:55 PM

Week 7, Oct.17 to 24

Hello y'all,
We will be meeting in Blegen 415 again.

There is another ADFAB meeting this Wenesday after class from 3:30 to 5 pm in 302 Lind Hall. This time around, the focus in on the Community Engagement Scholars program. This program helps you get recognition for community service on your transcript. (There are very few things you get recognized for on your transcripts: grades, proficeiency in other languages, and service learning.) I will be heading there after class, if any of y'all are interested.

Y'all might also want to check out this online mini course about Coping as a Freshman.

See y'all on Wednesday,
Sathiya

Posted by at 9:05 PM

Week 6, Oct. 10th-16th

Hello,
Y'all have two assignments which you should e-mail to both Charles and myself by noon on Tuesday 11th. Charles also posted on the blog about this week's assignments.

Class on Wednesday will be held in Blegen Hall 415. You also want to bring your APAS report to class on Wednesday.

During the last ADFAB meeting, we decided that it would be a good idea to take y'all to the Mall of America. Many of the freshmen living in the Res. Halls, haven't really used the bus system, so this will be a good chance to learn. If anyof y'all want to participate. It's going to be on Oct. 22, and we are all going to meet at the info. desk in Coffman, on the 1st floor. If any of your friends that are freshman want to go, they are more then welcome to come.

See y'all in class,
Sathiya K

Posted by at 8:39 PM

Week 5, Oct3-9

Hello Y'all,

Firstly, I need all your Journals turned in by Tueday, October 4th by 12 noon.

The last date for signing up for the Etiquette Dinner is Wednesday Oct 5th. Click on this link to register!

In class this week, we will be working on time management. To make the activities more relevant to your situation, we want you to bring the following materials:

• Gopher Guide

• Syllabi from all your classes

We will be meeting in Blegen 415.

There is also going to be an ADFAB meeting from 3:30 to 5 pm. It's about exploring the twin cities. Katie Peacock, from the CCLC is really knowledgeable, and she can tell you about all the hotspots, as well as where you can eat good food for cheap. As well cheap date ideas. I hope y'all can make it, because it's really useful stuff. Check out this daily article called Grease, caffeine and fun.

See y'all on Wednesday,
sathiya

Posted by at 5:52 PM

Week 4, Sept 38

Hello y'all,
This Wednesday's class will be held in the Bell Auditorium. Make sure you have your U-Cards out at the door, for attendence purposes.
Wednesday's lecture is going to be presented by the Student Academics Success Services, it's about study skills like notetaking and reding for comprehension.
There is also going to be a journal due next week, make sure y'all have the journals to me by October 4th, at noon. It will make it possible for me to provide feedback on journals in a timely manner. See Y'all tomorrow.
Sathiya K

Posted by at 5:10 PM

Week 2

Hello Y'all,

Journal 2 is due today (20th) by noon, so make sure you have those in, they have to be e-mailed both to Charles CGrafstrom@class.cla.umn.edu and myself kart0028@umn.edu.

Class will be meeting in Blegen 415, and here is the map. In class we will be having a discussion about Dean Rosenstone's lecture.

There is also an ADFAB meeting right after class. This session is going to be really useful because it offers tours of the East Bank, West Bank, St.Paul and also all the tunnels on campus. It will go on from 3:30 to 5PM, and begins right outside Johnston Hall. If you're interested, you should sign up by e-mailing adfab@class.cla.umn.edu.I will be walking there right after class, so feel free to join me.

There is also a Radio K new volunteer meeting today at 6:30PM in the Whole in basement of Coffman Union. Radio K is a student run radio station that operates out of Rarig, on the west bank. You can do anything from fundraising to DJing. I do a lot of stuff at Radio K and it has been enjoyable. If you have any questions or want to know more, you can always e-mail me.

There is also going to be a pizza lunch that the English department is hosting on Wednesday 21st from 12PM. If any of you are interested in going, we can meet outside Lind Hall, on the side that faces Church Street at around 12PM.

See y'all on Wednesday,
Sathiya

Posted by at 8:34 AM

Weekly Updates: Sept 12

Hello y'all,

I just wanted to remind you about a few things. Wednesday's class will be held in the Bell Auditorium. Here's a link that shows the exact location Bell Auditorium. Also make sure that you bring your U-Card, and have it handy so that you can swipe yourself in.

The Journal entry is also due on Wednesday before 2:15 PM, so make sure that you have e-mailed your journals to both Charles and myself by then.

I will also have office hours on Monday from 10 to 11 in Heller 575.

There will also be an ADFAB (Assistant Dean's Freshman Advisory Board) Kick-Off Ice Cream Social on Wenesday, September 14th from 3:30 to 5PM in Riverbend Plaza. I will be heading over to the Kick-Off right after class, and all of you are free to join me. You can also bring your friends along.

See y'all on Wednesday,
*sathiya

Posted by at 5:48 PM

Week One Class Activities

Hello,

Our first class meeting will be on Wednesday September 7 from 2:30 to 3:20 PM. We will be meeting in Blegen Hall room 415. Blegen Hall is located here . See you all in class!

Posted by at 10:45 AM