« Teen Killed On Metro Transit Ride | Main | Blue Angel Crash Kills Pilot »

Bullet Leads to School Lockdown

Students and faculty at an Eagan middle school received a scare Friday when a bullet found in one of the school’s hallway prompted a lock down of the school and a police search.

The story that ran in the Star Tribune was written by Curt Brown. This story reported that the bullet found in Metcalf Junior High School prompted a complete lockdown and a thorough police investigation of the building. The story reported that the incident carried some significant weight and importance based on the day on which it occurred.

On the eighth anniversary of the Columbine school shooting and four days after the massacre at Virginia Tech, an unspent cartridge found on the floor of the Eagan school's second-floor hall was enough to prompt a two-hour lockdown.

The story reported that the students were kept in the school while the lockdown was in place.

The roughly 750 students in grades seven through nine were locked in their classrooms with teachers and no one was allowed to move around the building as police searched every locker, nook and cranny.

The story reported that things got back to normal at the school around noon and that classes finished like normal.

I think that the biggest issue with this story is making the story interesting without looking like you’re trying to stir up a story or trying to get the readers concerned about something that they may not need to be worried about. I felt like the Brown version did a good job of finding a balance in this respect.

A second story ran in the Pioneer Press and was written by Frederick Melo. This story was much briefer and reported a lot of the same information. This story however did report where the bullet was found, a second-floor hallway of the Metcalf Junior High School. As stated previously much of the information remained the same but this story also mentioned the history associated with April 20th.

April 20 marks the eighth anniversary of the shooting rampage at Columbine High School in Jefferson County, Colo., in which student gunmen killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 24 others.

I felt like, for the most part, these stories both accomplished their goals and did a good job of relaying the information about the incident. I felt that the Brown version was slightly more informative and interesting in addition to being more appropriate with regards to length. I felt like the Brown version was slightly more extensive with regards to the amount of reporting that was done. Therefore, I preferred reading the Brown version more than the Melo version.