« Teenager Charged In Bus Shooting | Main | C.I.A. Involved in Secret Detentions »

Historic Discovery in Arizona

While digging at the site of a future Wal-Mart store near Mesa, Ariz., on Friday workers uncovered the remains of a camel estimated at 10,000 years old.

The story that ran in the Star Tribune was written by the Associated Press. The story reported that the workers quickly alerted a geologist and he came out to take a closer look at the find.

Arizona State University geology museum curator Brad Archer hurried out to the site Friday when he got the news that the owner of a nursery was carefully excavating bones found at the bottom of a hole being dug for a new ornamental citrus tree.

The story reported that the remains were positively identified as a camel and that the camel type species had been on the Earth more than 8,000 years ago. The story reported the situation surrounding the remains and where they would be taken.

Wal-Mart officials and Greenfield Citrus Nursery owner John Babiarz have already agreed that the bones will go directly on display at ASU.

The story reported the extreme rarity that this type of event is and that the display will likely take several months to be created.

I think that the biggest issue with this story is getting enough information to make the story interesting without making the story feel long winded. I think that this article did a good job at keeping the story brief and entertaining.

A second version of the story ran in the East Valley Tribune and was written by Christian Richardson. This story focused more on the involvement of John Babiarz and how the bones were discovered.

However on Wednesday, that is exactly what the 59-year-old discovered after a backhoe plunged into earth and dumped dirt and bones onto the ground along Lindsay Road near McKellips Road in Mesa.

This story reported much more detailed information regarding the circumstances that led to the discovery of the bones. This story did a very good job detailing the history of the area where the bones were found.

The bones were preserved four feet down in an area known as the Mesa Terrace where the Salt River was located during the Ice Age, Archer said.

The story reported a very interesting connection between Babiarz and Archer. The connection details the history of both individuals and the historic nature of the discovery.

Babiarz is well versed in finding bones. In Wyoming he discovered Tyrannosaurus Rex bones, and 10 years ago worked with Archer to find a Colombian mammoth in Chandler.

I felt that both versions of the story were acceptable and were able to achieve their intended goals. I felt like the story by Richardson was a bit more personal and had a lot more background information which was interesting to have. I felt like Richardson had a better grasp of the story and that he appeared much more knowledgeable on the subject. The Associated Press version felt too forced like the story was just really pushed out in order to cover the event for the sake of covering the event. Therefore, I preferred the Richardson version much more than the Associated Press version.