« Midtown Market | Main | Genius Loci »

Social-Design Issue

After having lived on the Mississippi River my entire life, I have noticed that the river itself tends to go unoticed. It seems that living within the area of such a grand thing as the Mississippi River has caused us to disregard and not pay attention to it. I see it as a growing problem. People don't appreciate what they have right in front of them, and they don't take advantage of what the river has to offer. It seems people from other states are much more interested in it than we are. I never really understood how poorly used our states riverfront was until my first visit to the city of San Antonio. The city was developed on the San Antonio river, very similiar to how Minneapolis and Saint Paul were developed on the Mississippi. But it is a night and day comparisson as to how much the city of San Antonio utilizes the river, and what sort of draw it can have. They transformed the banks of the river into a place that invites Flâneur, which is a french term that means to stroll about. The city has developed the area into a place of both public and private sectors. The San Antonio Riverwalk is at its core a series of paved paths that travel along side the river, most of which are surronded by tropical vegitation. Along side the paths are an assortment of retail buildings, eating establishments, open public places, and also private residences.

river.bmp

And with a stroll along the banks of the Mississippi River I discovered a lack of inviting public places and any sort of draw the to the river. Even with the few parks on the river, very few of them offer immediate access to the river itself, such as Minnehaha Park and Fort Snelling park. Even worse are the downtown areas of both Minneapolis and Saint Paul. In Minneapolis, the only sort of eating or shopping districts on the water is St. Anthony's Wharf, which is at least fifty feat off of the river, and has a large factory blocking the view of the river. Even districts that try to utilize the river fall well short, such as the Mill City district. They focus is on the Stone Arch bridge, but on either side of the bridge is no quality access to the water front (I do understand that the lock and damn to the north does limit the accessibility).

I feel that Minnesota as a whole could could have a much larger draw for tourism (both visiting people and those in state) if there were more development on the river and it was a much more public space. I strongly feel that the city of Minneapolis should better utilize the river by placing paved trails right beside the river, with plenty of places to stop and relax while taking in the view of downtown. There should also be more shops and restaraunts on the East side for the river that offer dining views of both downtown and the river. And even though there would be a lot of new buildings on the river, proper use of vegitation and trees vould still maintain the natural green space appeal of the river, and make the trails could double as a park. I stronlgy feel that the Mississippi River is our greatest asset, but also Minnesota's most under appreciated resource.

would like to see some graphics to accompany your descriptive text - if you don't have a digital camera, you can sketch something and scan it in.

I plan to show everyone the library scanner (and books and research tools) at some point in the future, but let me know if you want a quick preview...

Point of interest - the architect (Jean Nouvel) for the new Gehry theater was given the job partially because of his idea for the cantilevered deck out over the river.

keep an eye on spelling - sw