Moving to Blogger

I have officially moved this blog to blogger. The new site can be found at http://diversitylibraries.blogspot.com/

This is a reminder that ACRL's Racial and Ethnic Diversity Committee developed cultural competency standards for academic libraries'. It was officially accepted by ACRL in 2012. They did some really great work. I recommend checking out this resource.

http://www.ala.org/acrl/standards/diversity

Daily Show: Race is a Tricky Subject

It's been fascinating to watch the discussion of race, gender identity, and marriage rights in the news. I follow blogs like Jezebel, Racialicious, Native Appropriations, and the new NPR blog Code Switch. I take deliberate steps to stay in the conversation.

This year, in particular, I have seen race mentioned much more in mainstream media, like, Huffington Post, Newsweek, and CNN to name but a few. I think it's good that people are starting to have these difficult conversations. At the same time, how these discussions are held/interpreted is varied in response and effectiveness.

The Daily Show did a story on race in America. I think they have captured the temperature of this discussion so well, and humorously. I wanted to share.

White Privilege Conference Save the Date

The 15th Annual White Privilege Conference will be held in Madison, WI on March 26-29, 2014.

wpc_home_header2.gif

www.whiteprivilegeconference.com

Library Instruction for Diverse Populations Bibliography

The Instruction Section from ACRL released a bibliography, "Library Instruction for Diverse Populations Bibliography."

Keeping Our Faculty of Color

In April the University of Minnesota hosted the Keeping Our Faculty of Color Symposium. I was able to attend. There were some really eye opening issues that were discussed in terms of faculty of color. I went to several sessions, but, the thing I think is most useful is this really well done program. Each session has a very in depth abstract and many have bibliographies that go with them. I am posting the program here in case others would like to explore some of these resources.

keeping our foc.gif

Keeping Our Faculty of Color VI Program

Overcoming Racism Conference November 15-16 2013

2013 Overcoming Racism Conference
Overcoming Racism: Truth Telling
November 15 - 16, 2013 at Metropolitan State University
700 E. 7th St., St. Paul MN 55106

Proposal Submissions Deadline is September 2, 2013

Thumbnail image for page2-frec-conference-flyer-2013.jpg

Save the dates and share the flyer! FREC Conference flyer 2013

Social Media and Social Justice

This handout was created by myself and Melissa Kalpin Prescott (Reference Librarian, St. Cloud State University) for a session we did on how to use social media to promote social justice and maintaining your personal identity. The session was held during the Power in Diversity Leadership Conference hosted by St. Cloud State University.

SocialJusticeHandout012513.pdf

Joint Conference for Librarians of Color

It's the second national Joint Conference for Librarians of Color in Kansas City, MO. Today was pre-conferences and tonight is the opening ceremony at the Kansas City Public Library. Some really wonderful programs are set up and I hope to be posting details and some new ideas after the conference.

http://www2.uwplatt.edu/inclusivemw/

The theme of the 2012 Midwest Culturally Inclusive Conference is "Creating the change we want to see in the world: Sharing our knowledge, truth, tools, and best practices."

The Midwest Culturally Inclusive Conference is a regional conference for business and community leaders, college students and educators - from K-12 teachers and administrators to postsecondary faculty and staff - who want to strengthen diversity throughout the Midwest and work collaboratively towards resolving issues related to equity, diversity, inclusion, representative leadership and advancing professional development opportunities.

The purpose of the conference is to facilitate participants' understanding of the economic and equity implications of diversity in a 21st century global economy, equip participants with skills to uproot discrimination across multiple forms (i.e. gender, class, race, sexual orientation, veterans and disabilities), and foster relationship building between diverse groups to promote inclusive activism.

Share