For more details, see the Office for Equity and Diversity Events Calendar
In discussions of "diversity," not everyone recognizes that gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation are important points of cultural difference that merit recognition and voice. Members of the University who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer often face isolation, silence, and invisibility. This workshop is an opportunity for participants to learn about GLBTQ identities and communities, and to identify strategies they can employ to create a more open and welcoming campus climate.
Growing out of a movement to increase access for people with disabilities, the term "universal design" refers to the concept of designing products and environments to be as accessible as possible for all users. Whether it's captioning, gender neutral restrooms, curb cuts or inclusive language, the work of equity and diversity involves paying attention to how we design our classrooms, labs, offices, residence halls, work, curricula, and events to be as welcoming and inclusive as possible. In this workshop, participants learn key concepts of universal design and are given opportunities to assess the inclusivity of their own spaces, products, and communities.
Join us for an energetic & informative GLBT Ally 101 Training - open to anyone who wants to learn more about GLBT identities & ways to best serve students at the U.
Outcomes for this training include:
• Increase cultural competency & create inclusive environments for GLBT students at the U
• Explore how the intersectionality of identities (race, gender, class) impacts GLBT identities
• Provide guidelines & tips for creating solid conversations with our GLBT students
• Recognize levels of privilege & unintentional messages we may send to our GLBT students
• Hear stories & create a connection through personal perspectives
• RSVP required by Wed, Sept 19th to Frankie Jader at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Room locations will be based on RSVP size
• All trainings are free & RSVP's will receive an email conﬁrmation