Chapter 1: Psychology and Scientific Thinking

What is psychology? That is good question. I think many students can't answer that question correctly enough before you read chapter 1. So, after I spend 15 Mins go through the chapter , I found out the definition of psychology is one scientific study of the mind, brain, and behavior. Wow, you may not agree that a psychology is a scientific study because you think psychology doesn't show up as often as math or physics during our daily life. However, psychology actually has been used everywhere through our life. Psychologists predict people's natural behaviors basis on their daily activities. Therefore, psychology may help you to find out why you were angry 10 Mins ago why you are happy today etc.phrenology.jpg

In chapter 1, I think the most interesting things are the Six Scientific Thinking Principles.
They are set of skills for evaluating all claims in an open -minded and careful fashion.

Here are the six rules:

1. Ruling our rival hypotheses: Whenever we evaluate a psychological claim, we should ask ourselves whether we have ruling out other possible explanations for it.

2. Correlation vs. causation: When two things are associated with each other that does not mean one thing must cause the other.

3. Falsifiability: The capability of being disproved.

4. Replicability: When a study's findings are able to be duplicated, ideally by independent investigators.

5. Extraordinary claims: whether this calim runs counter to many things we know already

6. Occam's razor: whether simpler explanations can account for the data equally well.

thinking2[1].jpg