Chapter 14 "Personality"

images.tif

As soon as our chapters were assigned for this blog entry, I knew I was going to enjoy my chapter. Personality; the how's and why's of human behavior, is the most interesting part of psychology (as I know it now) to me. It was difficult for me to condense all of the interesting pieces in this chapter. I was very interested in all the information about Freud. I do believe he had some wonderful ideas, but at the same time, some of them are pretty off the wall. Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way since Freud's ideas are still very controversial. I was particularly interested in the Psychosexual development, and the overall recurring theme of sexually motivated theories of Freud's. This would lead me to wonder if he himself had an unhealthy view of sexuality.

I found that throughout the chapter, there were several important psychology figures named. It's amazing to me how many different opinions and theories there are and how much different they can be. B.F. Skinner's ideas grabbed my attention, as well. His thoughts about free will being just an illusion and that we are sometimes unaware of all the situational influences that affect us, really made me think.

free will.tif

The last piece that really struck me was the Big Five Model of Personality. Those being; openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism. I can definitely conceive all people fitting into these categories. But, I myself can identify with three areas that commonly occur in my daily life. So, following the text's ideas, I would say that we should probably place some kind of percentage or frequency rating on these areas. I can imagine that using the model this way might be
more helpful in using it in any kind of
counseling or even self-diagnosis approach.

Big Five.jpg