My First Blog, I think (chapter 15)

Hello,

This is my blog regarding a quick review of Chapter 15.

I once read on a quiz/board-game Q: what was considered a social disease [at the turn of the century]? A: Schizophrenia. It's always stuck in my brain for some reason and were talking about a decade ago, when my memory worked correctly.

It's kinda tough to read just the first page of chapter 15 with it's BROAD reference terms. Seems so boxed in for such a diverse and not all-together clearly defined and treated topic. "When adaptation breaks down" - grr, don't get me started.

"Mental Illness? A Deceptively Complex Question", ok now I'm getting a little warmer, more science and declaration of shortcomings (something I have found is VERY MUCH LACKING in the field....out there ya know in the "real" world). The brain isn't something you can do exploratory surgery on in the same way as the lung for example, fairly cut and dried. Attempts to further and further understand what we can admit as a shortcoming is a step in the direction of learning new things and advancing the science of medicine related to some of the illnesses we read about in chapter 15. I dig the stuff like "historical conceptions of mental illness: from Demons to Asylums", history then doesn't have to repeat itself.

Interesting sample of "Culture-Bound" syndromes, interesting nothing I would have thought about and an interesting thing to keep in mind especially in such a diverse culture as my neighborhood in St. Paul or the U of M campus.

Lalala going through many labels, disorders, depression, ADHD and testing for these.

Myth and Reality, looking forward to reading not just flipping through.

Fear Disorders, as a kid I didn't believe in them but as an adult having come to grasp the concept in it's functionality in the medical field and beyond has made it more real to me as opposed to something like snakes that my sister just had to get over herself about.

Mood Disorders and suicide - a topic that can fill a book and has, many! Still working on this one having my parents "break in" (they have keys for emergencies or when I am not in the state) to my house and scaring me half to death cause I wasn't answering my phone...after my heart stopped pounding I yelled ok, so what did you need to talk to me about on the phone?? And would you mind knocking and giving me 60 to 120 seconds to answer the door!! We were worried, what if something had happened to you...this incident will slide out of their brains conveniently as something they remember and they needed to confirm a dinner or what color pen I was using to write with or some such nonsense and that's all well and good but a little fubrd since they are then feeding any such reason I might have been hurt!!

Dissociative Disorders - interested me since childhood, so has, near-death experiences and the holocaust (all separate). I wasn't really into the "babysitters club" books as you may well guess. Knowing some of the history behind the disorder and different people's reactions to them, cults, child abuse etc.

From birth, genetic disorders, cool, vegetative states of being..."Awakenings", el-dopa, very cool. I have read some of ________________ other books, also very interesting. Stuff he encounters that is very cool and at the same time odd. I want to go to NYC and shake a better ending out of him for "Island of the Colorblind", as opposed to ferns, yep FERNS. I hate ferns! My yard is fern-free, as much as I don't care for gardening-ferns are like weeds or overgrown plants and bushes and I am ok with getting rid of them.

So in conclusion chapter 15 seems very comprehensive and I hope the rest of our book is as well, good times.

Party-On Wayne

:)
Jeanne Zellmer

Oliver Sacks! Awakenings is one of my favorite movies (highly recommend to anyone else in this class who hasn't seen it).

I agree that the field of psychology and psychiatry is way too big for its britches when it comes to adequately describing and diagnosing mental illness. We have barely scratched the surface in terms of what "normal", or average mental functioning really is, so how can we hope to say anything with confidence about factors that contribute to the development of disordered functioning? Disorders caused by identifiable trauma and disease are a little more clean-cut (e.g., a person who receives blunt force trauma to their frontal lobes will often develop patterns of aggressive, impulsive behavior), but even then we can't say for certain _exactly_ what happens to the neural networks in those areas to cause behavioral change.

I've never read Island of the Colorblind, but it is now on my Amazon wish list! Fun fact: ferns are older than the first dinosaurs.