Pseudoscience or not?

I was looking at a website called "All women Stalk-the women blogs" and I got the idea to talk about binge dieting. As I was looking for information, I found a yahoo article called "Binge-proof your diet: 6 food that keep you full and satisfied".

While I was reading each one of the 6 foods and their description, I kept on thinking: "Is this true? Did she test this out? Where are her sources?" If I had read this a couple of weeks ago I might have believed it and maybe even tried it out for myself. However, now that I know about the signs of pseudoscience and the six principles of scientific thinking I cant help but question if what I am reading is true or not. If you read the article you will probably say that im overreacting because she does talk about tests and studies that have been done, but what study? whos study? I dont see any peer review or replication, and I read about proof but what about evidence? If those studies were done, why not post a link that has information on the study? or use the name of the doctor or person that did the study? I dont know about you but I would have believed everything she said a bit more if she had talked about actual people or showed some evidence.

In reality, we should all think about pseudoscience when reading things on the internet. There are so many things out there that you never know what can be true or made up if there is no evidence to support what is being said. Anyone can talk with big scientific words and talk about as many tests as they want. WE are the ones that have to see how credible they are.

I definitely agree with you when we're the ones who have to determine what is credible and what is not. After looking over this article the foods that were I do believe those foods will keep you full and satisfied because I've heard it many times before, but I agree with you when you say there could be more proof in this article. There may be some exaggeration and a key thing left out, like exercising, that the author doesn't mention. I like the theme of your blog and I think it's better to be safe than sorry!

Its kind of crazy to think about how many articles i've read on the internet over the years that claim one thing or another and never once went far enough to check them for validity and whatnot. I've probably referred to some of the things i've read in day to day life and that by itself is scary cause i may be distributing false information. It'll be interesting to be able to distinguish these after the semester.

First off, I want to say that I simply love, love, LOVE the blog site that you included. I just spent the past 30 minutes browsing it before forcing myself to continue writing this response.

I had actually began browsing the website before reading your blog. While looking at someone of posts, I found myself wondering if what the blogger was saying was credible. For example, I wondered if the scents that they claimed were proven to seduce really do seduce, and if they really do, where are the sources that say so. Then when I continued reading you blog, I was amazed that I too question credibility. I think that that is really interesting how this course is changing the way we think, also.

Over all, I think that you made some really valid points in your blog. I think people should question the credibility in a lot of things, not only in the media, but in every day life as well. For example, in high school, while learning logarithms, my teacher made a mistake on the board. Some people caught it, but didn't say anything because everyone always assumes that an authority figure is always right. This ties back in with question credibility and such.

I loved the blog site, too! There's so many fun things to check out. As far as your information, I completely agree about checking facts to determine the actual truth of things. There are so many things online, in the newspaper, or ads on tv claiming to be something they're not, or do things they can't. It truly is up to us as individuals to not just believe everything we see.

The blog site was great, I agree. Though a lot of the articles I think rely only on surveys to collect their data - and we all know how unreliable they can be. I think a lot about the studies too when I read articles like the yahoo one and a good rule of thumb to use now is if they don't provide their sources, it may not be the most legit thing in the world.

After reading the article you provided, i thought all your points were great! How do we truly know what articles that we read on the internet are credible and true? Sure they can say they've been tested but one thing that really helps me make my decision are the statistics that are usually given with the article!

Great post, Julieta! And I love all the comments, I'm so happy to hear that you guys are savvy about questioning health claims and diet tricks. Talk about an area where there is an overwhelming quantity of conflicting information--especially online.

Your have really good points and I really like it. There are lots of Pseudoscience in this world right now, after I study the firs chapter, I can easily find out them.