Final Blog Assignment Nature vs Nurture

I think that the most important thing that I learned in Psychology was why people act the way they do and the most interesting was the idea of Nature vs Nurture because it relates to almost every aspect of human personality. Nature deals with the genetic and biological factors that make up a person an example being, eye color or blood type. Nurture is the environmental factors that go into a person's personality like their religion, culture and language. Both nature and nurture are important in the study of psychology.
ESPN wrote an article, "What if Michael Vick was white," explaining how his circumstances of who his parents were and what race he was born as affected the athlete that he is today. The article takes a nurture approach to his sport ability. The article writes that Michael Vick has an African-American feel to the way in which he plays quarterback in the NFL. The style that he has playing as well as the way in which he moves in many ways is said to have the "Black Athleticism." If he would have been white the path that he took may have not included sports or his style may have been different when he played. The privilege which he may have received is he were white could have also altered the decision to play football.
On the other end of the argument is nature, he could be genetically more athletic and gifted in sports than others making him a star athlete. He could also have a gift for learning at a quicker pace than other or quicker reflexes making him a strong quarterback.
I wonder if there will ever be a way in which we could completely isolate nature and nurture, though there are twin studies and family studies nature and nurture are never completely isolated.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

Photobucket

Photobucket

i think this is a great example to really grasp the concept of nature vs. nurture and how it can affect our daily life. All the studies we saw related to this where really interesting but like you said, not completely isolated. Im sure that with time there will be new studies that can finally define one or the other or if we will have to stay with both.

I found this to be very interesting. I do think that Michael Vick would be a lot different if he was white and brought up in that way of life. I do think that genetics has a lot to do with a person, but I still that the environment can really change a person. With an different environments it can bring out your best traits or worst traits. For Vick it seemed to bring out a good trait, which made him become a professional athlete.

It makes a lot of sense. It's something I think about often, but to actually think of a star athlete, Michael Vick being white, would have altered his life a lot. He probably never would have went to prison for dog fighting, he may have never played football, he might have played baseball or hockey, maybe even golf. He is a very gifted and talented athlete. being a quarterback is one of the most difficult positions on the field because the entire offense depends on what you do. His environment brought out good (athlete) and bad (dog fighting) traits, but it is always possible to change that. Great post!