Nature vs. Nurture IQ. Does the world decide our intelligence level?

While reading through the IQ sections in Chapter 9 I found myself coming across a repetitive motif. IQ seemed to have many direct correlations with the environment someone was raised. On page 346 of our book the author states that racial differences in IQ testing seem to have no correlation to which race took the test, but instead that it is "entirely environmental" and "can't explain the difference between the two groups in genetic terms. So what environments tested lower than others? Most of the time poverty ridden environments tested lowest, with no correlation between genetics.

Here Phillipe Rushton discusses the heritability of social classes when dealing with IQ. One problem he addresses is that violent communities with lack of education are going to cause poor education and Low IQ.

In the book it also states that poverty ridden cultures in America always tend to have lower IQ scores. I believe this is a call for help, and that there is a reasonable hypothesis that the less educated a society is, the more violent it may become, as Phillipe Rushton addresses in his video. If this issue is more heavily addressed in society and worked toward educating lower classes, do you think it will improve the poverty level in terms of violence and elevate lowered social classes?

I think you make very interesting points such as the last question you asked. While poverty ridden cultures in America tend to have lower IQ scores, I think that to solve this problem or improve the IQ scores of those from poverty ridden cultures the government will have to get involved to make this change happen. A possible way of addressing this issue is supplying classes to help those who do not learn as quickly or providing financial aid that could only be used for academic purposes.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I would agree that something really should be done to help poverty-ridden areas with their education systems. Unfortunately, as I know to a certain extent firsthand, prejudices don't help with this problem at all. There are the prejudices within the low income groups that if you work too hard you're trying to make everyone else look bad. Many teachers in schools serving these people either are so burnt out that they just can't care anymore or they believe that persons from low income housing can't be helped. This being said, not everybody associated with low income persons has these prejudices, but there are enough to make a difference.

On a lighter note, there are a thousands of programs designed to improve this very issue today. I know and understand that we still have a very long way to go to close the IQ gap between different socioeconomic classes, but every year this gap gets a little bit smaller. It is extremely saddening to know that there is still a gap in IQ, but I think our nation is doing a great job at closing the gap and I look forward to a future where there will be no difference in IQ across all socioeconomic backgrounds.

I think for me, intelligence is a very important. As a student in psy 1001, for most students we spend the same time and work hard, but we just can not get the score someone could easily reach. I guess that might be the intelligence effect.