Tricky Mind

Something I found interesting this semester in psychology that will stay with me is visual perception. Perception is defined as the brain's interpretation of raw sensory inputs. And with that perception our brain can play "tricks" or illusions, perception in which the way we perceive a stimulus doesn't match reality, on us.
Bursting-Lava-Illusion.jpg
This looking like a broken road of lava, when in reality it was done with chalk.

Along with illusions the opponent process theory, which is the theory that we perceive colors in terms of three pairs of opponent colors: either red or green, blue or yellow, or black or white. I know that i've experienced it before when I would stare at something for a long time then close my eyes, but I never understood why I would see the certain colors when I did close my eyes.

Lastly, I will remember learning about bistable images, one we can perceive in two ways, like The Necker Cube. For some people it's easier for them to shift from looking at an image one way and then switch to the other way. I was always told that you would see an image one way if you were "left brain" and another image if you were "right brain" as you see in the video clip bellow. With the left-side of the brain is considered to be adept at tasks that involve logic, language and analytical thinking and the right side of the brain is best at expressive and creative tasks.

This was a great blog! My friends and I sat around and watched the video and all saw it different directions. I think you're very right about how interesting our perceptions are. The video alone shows the many different perceptions there are in the world. Great blog!

I love the sidewalk chalk art. It is a great example of how our mind plays "tricks" on us. It's really cool that we can be classified as left or right brained people based on what we perceive. I hope in the future someone can figure out exactly why each and every one of us look at the world differently, but maybe it's better if we don't know! I will remember this concept for a long time too, especially that optical illusions are always fun to look at! Great examples!

Sidewalk chalk art! This is probably one of the longest processes to create, and the fact that it is an illusion, giving off the feeling that it is real and your street has just been broken apart. It would be nice to actually get a real reason for why these things happen, a very simple straight forward explanation. After watching the video, I could only see the dancer moving clockwise, and the whole time I was trying to figure out how some people see it moving anti-clockwise. Nice bog!

I also really liked the sidewalk illusion. When I first opened this blog entry I was wondering what in the world is going on in that picture! That was definitely a great example for perception.