Chapter 11: Emotion and Motivation

Chapter 11 explores our emotions and motivations. Emotions being the reactions we have to stimuli and motivation being the driving force behind our actions. Emotional reactions are categorized into areas such as primary emotions, secondary emotions, conscious emotions, unconscious emotions, etc. Not only does the chapter recognize the emotions we utilize, but it delves into why we use them. Motivation gives us reasons for doing things and exploring these reasons has been perplexing psychologists for years. The theories in the text help us understand incentives, needs, wants, and even self-identification.

What I've found to be the most interesting in this text is the business applications that can stem from using psychology. I've come across motivational theories in business courses and how understanding them is indispensable when leading in the workplace. All of us have/had jobs that require unlimited expectations, yet are fueled by our limited drive. Helping to manipulate motivation is a tactful way to increase production and overall happiness at work.

Interesting. I wonder how the chapter handles the complexity of emotions, and if it relates those emotions to animals as well. For instance, I consider love to be the simplest emotion, and the one experienced by the largest number of animals, despite what people usually think. Most of the "complexities" of love are, in fact, other emotions.