Chapter 8

Throughout this chapter the author mainly discusses how we as humans think and how language is learned. They explore how we learn languages, going into depth on how children specifically learn languages. This section I found interesting because when exploring the different facets of childhood development the author includes different tests to show how we gained this knowledge. One of the tests was to see the development of syntax skills in children. In this experiment kids are placed in front of two screens, one with big bird tickling the cookie monster and the other vice versa. The participants where then given instruction to point the screen where big bird was the "tickler" and cookie monster the "ticklee." In this experiment in was interesting to see that children at the 17 months are not only capable of understanding words but that they can comprehend the order of their instructions. Another part of the chapter I found stimulating was the section discussing how different types of animals communicate and attempts to teach animal human languages.

I also found this experiment very interest and astonishing that at 17 months children we able to understand words and comprehend the order of the instructions. It's so interesting that this is true, because I always look at kids and think that they have so much to learn and I always assume they won't understand things like this, but now I know that they can, and I just can't believe it.