Animal training

The use of clicker training on animals is a remarkable presentation of BF Skinners principles of shaping. This method of training through positive reinforcement of the desired behavior starts with the basic steps of the behavior, and turns into an accomplished task.

I chose to use this video of a rabbit that has been fully trained by the use of a clicker, and a reward in the form of food.

Initially the trainer must accustom the animal to the sound of the clicker, by feeding the rabbit every time the she clicked. After this relationship of acoustics and reward has been established, the training could begin.

The trainer must have broken this complex task into a series of simple steps in order for the rabbit to understand. The rabbit was then rewarded for exhibiting the desired behavior. Overall the task breakdown probably looked something like this.

-get the rabbit to move to the bars.
-get the rabbit to weave between the bars
-get the rabbit to go through the loops
-get the rabbit to jump the block.
-get the rabbit to knock down the pins.

This technique is incredibly interesting, and has even been show to work in humans.
psychology-joke-pavlov.gif

I like the picture you put up. Awesome video also, that is one well trained animal. I'd like to know to how far can you go teaching people using this method? Also, I think colleges should rethink their teaching methods, 5 points is not a reward for doing homework these days. I'd learn much better getting free lunch every time I do well.

Both this post and the comment interested me to the fullest. Animals in general are very cool to see preform and are very fun, although sometimes frustrating, to be apart of the training process. I also agree that this idea of points for grades is a stupid way of giving grades for students these days. Some students do not care about missing 5 points here or there even though they do add up and can really affect one's grade. However, the idea of giving something free like free food is a great way of giving out grades. They can be added up like points too. 5 lunches could equal out to be a C or 10 lunches can equal to an A. There are also many other combinations that could be possible.

Go, bunny, go go! Shaping really is amazing, I agree. What human examples can you think of?

Clara, you raise a good point. Grading can be sort of an underwhelming reward process, especially when some assignments are weighted so differently than others. It's hard to know where to put the time in! I remember thinking in undergrad that if I was being paid cash for my assignments, I'd be much more motivated. It would be very interesting to try out some incentive reward structures that involve more tangible earnings (you know, beyond me chucking candy around the room during section:)

As I finished watchng the video, I get the idea that shaping is a really good way to train animals. The method is generally about asking the animal to do things step by step and get the final results at the end. The bunny did what the researcher asked it to do and got the reward after it. Also I agree with the idea that points are not as attractive as other stuff. It is not worth the same value to every student.