Authoritarian-ative is ok right?

According to Diana Baumrind, there are three major parenting styles that parents typically adhere to, each resulting in different effects on children. Those being: authoritarian, authoritative, and permissive. Oftentimes a fourth category (uninvolved parenting) is added for those parents who tend to neglect their children's emotional needs while barely meeting their physical needs. Authoritarian parents typically have strict rules that a child has to follow without question or risk being punished. Permissive parents are typically lenient and don't have strict rules or punishment at all. And authoritative parents are somewhere between authoritarian and permissive, being assertive and having rules but being more forgiving than punishing.
I think it's safe to say that all parents lay somewhere on this scale from being overbearing to not being there at all though I think it would be difficult to determine how this affects the children as all children differ and gain from different circumstances. Personally my parents are both on a different part of the scale, my mother being between authoritarian and authoritative (authoritarian-ative: my own twist on the words) and my father being between authoritative and permissive. The effects of their combined parenting have led to three very different fully functional children (my two older brothers and I) so I find it hard to believe that this article puts things so simply in terms of the results of specific types of parenting being specific types of children. "Permissive parenting often results in children who... are more likely to experience problems with authority and tend to perform poorly in school." Honestly who's to say what parenting style is perfect?

Maybe the research is based on what type of atmosphere parents create together for their children, which in your case would then be authoritative. And I agree with you that there is no perfect parenting style, however I am sure each style brings out certain characteristics and loses others that may be important. It just depends on what type of personality you think your children should have.

I agree with the above comment that the type of atmosphere the parent provides for the child is important to take into consideration. I don't think that uninvolved parenting is good for any child because children need stability and being too lenient with them leads to problems in the future.
I think that some kids do inspire more strict parenting than others depending on how well they're behaved, but I think that parents shouldn't stick to just one "category" of parenting if they find it's not effective.

I definitely feel that each parenting style gives varying degrees of success for different types of children. I would say that the authoritative parenting would be the most effective because it puts children in line, but thy also are forgiving at the same time. Also, I think that the type of child influences which style works best. Some kids aren't very good with tough parenting and respond better to permissive parents, while some do best with "tough" parents because they need to be kept in line.

I find this very similar to the theory that birth order determines what a person's personality will end up as. In both of these situations it seems as if there may be a correlation vs. causation problem that's unaccounted for.

I also agree that authoritative parenting is the most effective. It is good to have a good set of rules but you shouldn't be too strict otherwise the parents will be resented. This allows children to make their own choices without having severe consequences.

It's a good point that you make that, within a family, the mother might have a different parenting style than the father. It would be interesting to see how different combinations of parenting styles effect adult outcomes.