Being tricked by your own brain!?

Sometimes it is strange that you have the memory of having done something but the truth is that it has never happened. Recently, a group of Germany scientists announced that people usually are tricked by their own brain. They did the experiment which is generallhy about showing videos to the audience and the later ask them about the phenomenon that they have seen. For some of the people, they are asked to do some specific actions which were recorded in the video. Though they are reminded that some of the scenes may be misleading. To their surprise, most of the experimentors adimitted about what they have seen as they truly did those. Ii t has already been a kind of intensive memory o people's minds based on what they have seen visually.
After the experiment, they kin o got the idea that people's memory is not always reliable. Sometimes it is necessary to be skeptical about what you have seen and remembered. They tend to believe that this kind of system in the body is kind of imitation. People are potentially imitating about what they are seeing around them and have the ability to imitate in the memory. It is truly a double edged sword that you can be skeptical and questioning as well as believing in yourself.

I get this all the time when thinking about my early childhood. Your parents tell you stories, and you imagine it, and later on it seems almost like you remember it. But I know that I am only remembering the description my parents give me. I am extremely dubious of my own self, unlike the people in these experiments, and I think as a culture we need to teach people to be more like that. Recalling false events serves no purpose and it can be dangerous.

One thing I find really interesting when it comes to recollection is how we change stories a little everytime we tell of a memory. I don't have a link to any specific to support this, but in one of my anatomy classes our professor mentioned that everytime we revisit a memory, we somehow change a minor detail. If this is the case then this marks yet another way our brain can play tricks on us.

This does not surprise me at all and I am sure I have rewritten my own memories. However I wonder if any other senses can change memory. This describes how a visual stimulus can alter memory but what about an audible stimulus? Does it have the same reaction?

I have noticed this phenomenon in my own traits in things like test taking and I am sure of what something means and can recall why it is that way and it makes total sense to me only to find out that I had confused it with something else all along and made it fit into what I wanted it to be/remembered it being.

I can totally relate to this. There are many times when recalling stories with friends when everyone's story is a little different because of their memory. And when told it a different way sometimes that is how I begin to remember it even if that isn't the way it happened.

I've found that people sometimes have more accurate types of long term memory and are less accurate on the other types. For example, I seem to have a poor episodic memory compared to my friends but a better semantic memory. Maybe some areas of long term memory are stronger than others; differing from person to person.

I think this sort of thing is very interesting. I have had many examples of recalling memories as a child, but when talking to my parents they are very different. Maybe we are both wrong though, or maybe one person is right. I feel as though every memory might change a bit, maybe no one can remember everything perfectly.

Related to this topic, I was wondering if this phenomenon also influenced the scenic memory of people who have photographic memory. Is there something special about their brain that perfectly preserves the image, or can further retrieval of the memory cause slight modifications?

This is a really interesting study I thought because it is one thing to alter a memory in a very small way, but some people often create whole memories that never occurred in their lifetime. I find this a bit baffling that someone could create an entire memory of being sexually abused by a parent or close family member if it never happened.