Does Alzheimer's Disease affect you?

There are a lot of us who may know or knew someone with Alzheimer's which is a form of Dementia. Dementia is where there is a loss of brain function. With Alzheimer's, this effect gradually worsens as time goes on. It affects memory, language, and behavior. Things that may be a factor in the causation in Alzheimer's are age, genes, being female, having head trauma, or having high blood pressure for a significant period of time. Although, having Mercury, Aluminum, or lead in the brain is not a factor for causing Alzheimer's anymore. Symptoms that go with Alzheimer's is having problems with memory, language, behavior, or judgement. It is not just being "forgetful", it is also being not able to problem solve or comprehend a multitude of things such as forgetting recent conversations or take longer to preform difficult task. One can have many test preform to rule out other brain issues if this is happening to someone. For example, someone can make sure they do not have a brain tumor or a vitamin deficiency. The only known way to for sure see if someone had Alzheimer's, however, is to examine a piece of brain tissue after death and search for various areas of dying nerve cells. Although there is no known cure for Alzheimer's, a major treatment is to just slow down the process. Taking drugs can help slowing down the process of nerve cells dying, however, the symptoms that are associated with Alzheimer's just typically get worse. Another way to help this process is to change the environment around you to hopefully help you preform simple task longer. Even just knowing that one may have this condition may improve the person since they are aware of why certain things may be changing. Lastly, another helpful element is the love from family and friends who will, hopefully, help out their loved one as much as they can. Unfortunately, there is no proven way to prevent Alzheimer's. However, there are some simple changes that may lower one's chance in perhaps getting Alzheimer's. One can eat a low fat diet or eat cold-water fish rich in omega-3. Also maintaining a normal blood pressure and being social throughout one's life is ideal as well. alzheimer.jpg

I appreciate that they have gotten so far as to find out how to slow down the process. I had found an article on about.com stating that a couple of ways to prevent the disease were exercise, quitting tobacco products, and keeping a very healthy life. Because I was told by my grandmother's doctor (she had Alzheimer's) that they disease skips a generation I am looking for things to help prevent the disease.
It is so odd to me that people are not able to think through problems or struggle with language. Although she had moved from Germany at the age of 13 and had learned English immediately after coming to the states and rarely spoke it, even after Alzheimer's set in my grandmother was able to recall her first language but could not tell you what month it was, season for that matter, even what was said a moment ago. What was even more surprising was she would sometimes struggle with comprehending English, the language that surrounded her each day.

I feel like there is a good reason they say living a healthy life style and staying involved physically and mentally will help prevent Alzheimer's. If it is the decay of the nerve cells that aid in problem solving, memory, and language, it would make sense that working out those brain areas would help prevent it.

I feel like the smart thing to do is to try to stay healthy through your whole life to try to prolong when the onset of Alzheimer's would happen. After small symptoms come, it would probably be best to try to hold off the disease for as long as possible. It's a shame there is no cure other then preventing a faster death rate of nerve cells.

My grandparents both have dementia, so I know what it's like to be talking with a loved one when they can't remember remember certain things you are trying to talk to them about. The last time I saw my grandpa, he couldn't remember my name and didn't recognize me, which made me really sad.
I'm glad to hear that they have medications that can help delay the onset of Alzheimer's, but it has to be such a frustrating condition for any individual and their family. It think it's a really good thing if the individual can know early on that they have Alzheimer's so that they can take extra steps to try to keep their mental health as strong as it can be for as long as possible.

very interesting post, on a very relevant topic.
for anyone who has had someone they know in their lives suffer from Alzheimer's, this is an incredibly hard thing to watch.
It's odd to see how far we have come as a species to be able to cure so many diseases, but there are still some that we can not beat.
I took a cell biology course last semester and learned a ton about Alzheimer's disease, and it was great to see how much we understand about the disease, and it really made me hopeful that one day we will be able to eliminate Alzheimer's.

I just read another article where eating fish was a big help in slowing cognitive decline. Omega 3 has some great qualities. One of them is anti inflammation which is a big problem with the Alzheimers. So increase your omega 3 levels and try to eat more fish. Maybe you can live a longer healthier life. To learn more about Omega 3

I guess I can't know for sure weather I will get alzheimers or not but I take it that its a good sign that my 87 year old grandma lives on her own and still has a good memory and my other grandparents in their late 70's are also sharp minded too