Birth Order

"Firstborns tend toward achievement, middle-borns toward diplomacy, and later-borns towards risk taking." These are sayings that are widely popular but have not been proven. Many researchers have tried coming up with the proper test to see if this statement is true or not. Although their findings are rather inconclusive. First off, if a scientist or researcher found a study which could prove or disprove this claim, it must be able to be replicated otherwise it is not scientifically sound. Also, this claim is open to many other third variables that may cause this personality such as the child's parents were very hard workers so the child follows in his parents' foot-steps. Another third variable could be how the parents treat the firstborn and how they treat the last-born. Parents can change over time and many siblings who are older, say that the parents were much harder on them, which may or may not be true. Another principle to think about is if this statement can be disproved? I believe it can be just because I think there is much more to personality than just when you were born in your family chain. This may have a slight affect on how a person may act to one and other but I believe, all and all, the picture is much more than that.
This idea may be popular just like the statements given at the beginning of the book. Those statements are circulated throughout popular media and they make people think of them over and over again. I failed the test the book gives because that is what I was always told, not just from my parents, but from everything like cartoons. This just may have been said to people with different personality offspring. If they all came from the same place, then why can they be so different? This question may have sprung open this statement. birthorder.jpg

Interesting post. I had an anthropology professor who wrote his dissertation on birth order of chimpanzees. He noticed how parents treat their first born child differently from later born children. First born children usually receive more attention, security, and discipline growing up with might have an effect on their ontogeny. Specifically what could make them different from their later born siblings.

This is similar to the blog I did, but it is interesting how you how talked about the parents' work ethic. I did not even think about how more than just how the parents treat their children could affect them. It would be interesting to see how much observational learning occurs in work ethic.

I agree with you that there is much more to personality than when you were born in your family lineage. I don't think that it can always be said that the first born child is higher achieving, the middle child is diplomatic, and the youngest child is a risk taker. Children don't always fit neatly into these categories, although I do agree with your point about how parents' parenting approaches can change over time and they are usually more lenient with their youngest child than their oldest child. But I think this may just have to do with getting more experience in parenting. Parents are usually very protective with their first born and less so with their youngest child in situations that they have encountered and dealt with before.