Conditioned Responses

When I look back on this class in five years, I will have many thoughts and feelings about what i learned, but the one concept that will stick in my mind is how we learn. I remember reading the chapter on learning and being interested in how our brain takes in information. The thing that I will remember the most is Pavolv's dogs. I was amazed at the fact he was able to get the conditioned response of the dogs salivating at the sound of a bell. The most interesting part that I read was the story of little Albert. I think it's interesting to see that we can make people afraid of certain objects because they remind us of something else. Stimulus generalization little Albert showed was interesting to me because he grew a fear of anything that resembled a rat. This got me wondering whether we can get people to become afraid of completely random things like a microwave or a cell phone.
Now as the semester comes to an end and this class is over, I will always remember how can develop feelings about things for no reason whatsoever. And if someone asks me about psych 1001, I will tell them about those experiments.
dog.jpg

The example of Pavolv's dogs will also stick in my brain for a long time. I found it very interesting how we can learn to be afraid of things obviously harmless just through conditioning. This shows that the brain is a powerful weapon for and against you.