Drugs are Bad

The main concept that I am going to remember after taking Psych 1001 is that there is more to drug addiction than just deciding whether or not to take a drug. I have learned how drugs alter neurotransmitters that are released in the brain and that it is because of that reason that drug addiction is such a hard thing to overcome. I am very happy that I now know this information because after learning about it in lecture, and about ways that can be used to successfully end an addiction, I spent time learning more about drug addiction and learned about different ways that it can be fought. Since the brain gets habituated to the changes brought on by the drugs, more and more of the drug is eventually needed in order for the user to experience the same high that he or she once got. This is another reason why drug addiction is so hard to treat, sometimes a user cannot just quit, they need to slowly decrease the amount of the drug that they use until they are clean or receive a healthier substitute drug. Substituting drugs makes it so that the user is not at such a high risk for a drug related death, which is what occurs to heroin addicts when they switch to methadone.

Here the trailer to the movie Requiem for a Dream, which is a movie about heroin and cocaine addicts in New York.

It is so true that we should keep away from drugs and never touch this area. As you mentioned, it is not the concept of whether we should take it or not, it ia about avoiding it. There are so many examples about addiction and it is so hard to cure and get treatment. For the sake of being healthy, I totally agree with you that we shouldn't try drugs.

this movie is pretty rad, but I would say the movie is about addiction as a whole, and using drugs as a means to an end to acomplish the goals that set as americna standards, wealth beauty and power.

pretty much stay away from pills and powders. it'll get cha.

What do you mean substitute drugs? You mean people who are addicted to a really strong drug like cocaine or something will ease off that by taking marijuana?

I agree with the fact that drugs are much more complex than a decision between doing it or not. I currently am friends with someone that smokes marijuana, is on antidepressants, and drinks alcohol all on a regular basis. By taking psych 1001 I have learned how harmful this is and really wish he would realize what he is doing to himself!

First of all I think that video is really cool. I would want to watch that movie. Drugs are very harmful and you are right on about the fact that they need to take more and more over time just to experience the same high. So far I have met plenty of people and have many friends that smoke marijuana and over do it. If only they could understand how bad it is for them.

Don't forget that people should be treated in an environment similar to the one they face addiction in. Taking someone to a safe, clean place to treat them has a huge impact on their behavior.