Final Blog: Free Will

In five years from now, I'd like to still remember that everything that I do is not exactly the result of my choice. There are a lot of reasons my body and brain connect me to my choices, that I'll never truly understand. With that being said, it will be important to me to listen to my instinctive choices and use my free will to decide how appropriate they are to my current situation. Our minds make us do some funny things, but they have withstood the test of time through our evolution. In some way, they must know what the right decisions are. Listen to your body, mind, and heart once in awhile, they've been operating correctly a lot longer than the information in any of our text books.

It's interesting that you would mention to "Listen to your body, mind, and heart once in awhile". It almost seems counter-intuitive to the notion of free will since listening to those rather than the conscious seems to suggest that the things we do are reflexive responses to the environment that have been conditioned by our genes and physical biology. Just something I noticed.

Right, I think you're missing the point. I simply mean to listen to our instinctive responses...not act on them immediately. I think it's important to listen to the "reflexive responses" as the beginning of a process. Not to entirely shape our each and every choice. I guess I could have clarified a little better (my bad). Have a good summer!