Personalities Matter

One part of Psychology 1001 that I found particularly interesting was the section on personalities. My interest in this had a lot to do with the activity we did in our discussion section where we had to plan a vacation for our group. We were placed in in groups based on our levels of extroversion and conscientiousness. Seeing how differently all the groups' planning strategies were was incredibly interesting. The groups with high conscientiousness carefully thought out details, while the group with high extroversion and low conscientiousness made decisions more on impulse, without much attention to detail. The reason I think I will remember this is because of how pertinent it is to daily life. Whether it is work, school, or just social life, knowing both your personality and the personality of those around you can be extremely important, mostly for situations like we had in discussion. When you're working with a group toward a common goal, it is important to understand where peoples' opinions are coming from, and how that can affect the group as a whole. The best example of this that I can think of is noticing when someone in your group suggests something that might give them an advantage in some way, rather than being a positive decision for the group. Being aware of the motives and personality types in others can make a huge difference! As an example of why it is so important to be aware of these different personality types, enjoy this video of one of the strangest personalities on television:

http://youtu.be/_eD8RhPDU5Y

P.S. My apologies for the non-video. The embedding feature was disabled on this video, but it's a funny one.

I also found personality very interesting! You could easily tell which groups were which when you watched each one present where they were taking their trips. I had no idea personality could effect school-work so much!