Similarities > Differences

I started watching Say Yes to the Dress just a couple months back, and I have been very hooked ever since. Something about the pristine white dresses and the thought of marriage. The women in the show, I believe, represent a wide spectrum of brides, from the demure and conservative wife-to-be to the all out, "I'm a diva and this is my day" fiancée. Their price ranges go from affordable gowns from $1000 to extraordinarily expenses that the price is not even mentioned, or worth talking about. Point of the matter, every woman wants a dress that they will shine in, that dress that will leave their groom speechless. Of course, the groom is a very important and essential part of the whole show. Based off the episodes that I have watched, most brides seemed to have met their significant other in their own work place, showing the factor of proximity. And of course, since opposition can only attract so much, similarity is another crucial topic. Although people have some degree of differences with their significant other, I can put my money on them having more similarities. Having the same values and beliefs lays down a solid foundation from which their relationship and marriage can flourish.

First of all, I also love this show. Also, I am not at all surprised by the idea of similarities creating an attraction. Usually people I am friends with have similar values, morals, and senses of humor as me, not just significant others. In order to get along with someone, I think having some similar opinions or ideas is crucial. Opposition may seem like a good way to avoid marrying someone exactly like you, but I think it could cause multiple arguments and disagreements.

In my opinion, I think someone who marries should be close enough in values and opinions with their partner to be comfortable. However, they also need slightly different personalities. Things like the way they talk and the kinds of jokes they make should be slightly different. Otherwise it's going to get monotonous.

It is interesting that so many people meet in the workplace, but almost every workplace frowns upon, or even prohibits, relationships in the workplace. It makes sense though as if they get in a fight, it can really hurt the company. It also makes sense that so many relationships start as people spend so much time at their jobs.

I agree with all of you that people have to have similarities in moral and ethical codes, but it would be nice to marry someone that is a little different from you regarding hobbies. Although, I'm sure many married people have gotten into fights over hobbies, it would be a nice way to try something new and change your lifestyle. I think that there definitely needs to be similarities in intellect, because as a person we need to always be intellectually challenged, and marrying something that is not as smart as you could put a damper on the relationship. Do you guys think that similarities in intellect is important?

Good post. Haven't watched the show, but I'm sure I'd agree with your thoughts if I had. Regarding to wille360, I'd agree that intellect similarity is important in relationships. However, I don't think an intellectually challenging relationship sounds very fun...honestly, I think dating someone with little intellect might be more intellectually challenging and possibly bring about migraines.

I like your post! It is true that most companies forbid relationships in office and i believe that it is a good way to minimize conflicts as well. Also, people tend to make friends more with those who are similar with them. I think maybe it is because that when they are together, they can share and understand each other. But sometimes differences are needed in a relationship to some extent.

I also think that similarities are a bigger part of marriage than differences. I think similarities are much more important for a successful relationship but I do think there should be some differences.

It's strange to think about how much leads up to those women choosing dresses. First they have to meet their groom, become attracted to them and they have to stay together long enough to become married. There are so many factors that influence a relationship and the initial attraction. It is really interesting to me to think about how often people end up getting married because there are so many things that can go wrong before that point.

Love that show! I actually know a few people who are married now and met in their workplace. Of course I always questioned "Why on earth would you do that? You'd see them 24/7!" Many people don't seem to have a problem with being with their significant other 24/7 right away but I know from experience that if someone spends too much time with that one person they will likely burst at the seams regardless of their similarity. It seems to me that people who get married should be similar in regards to their personalities versus just their interests or intellect. If you think about the big 5 personalities if a super extroverted person was with a super introverted person they would likely find some issue with each other because one might never be around because he/she's extroverted or the other might never talk about anything because he/she's more introverted and they don't understand eachother. That's not to say that it WON'T work because it definitely could, I just believe that people with closer personality tendencies would have a more loving and understanding relationship.

Having been forced to watch Yes to the Dress! with my sisters and mother, I know just a little too much about it. It is always interesting to think about how couples meet and how they stay together. Even though proximity plays a huge role in couples, sometimes long-distance relationships work out, and it would be interesting for a study to figure out how they psychologically deal with the separation.

LOVE this show. I never looked at it from a psychological perspective, examining the causes of marriage, or how spouses met each other. Typically, I feel like spouses meet in graduate school, the workplace, or out on the town. This does provide an example for the proximity factor. I think this is the same about all types of relationships, and maybe other television shows as well.