Remembering Psychology

Honestly, two things stuck out to me this semester in Psychology 1001.

The first concept that intrigued me was visual, or optical, illusions. It intrigued me because this visual deception effects everyone. The arrangement of images, effects of colors, impact of light, and other variables lead to these visuals. While optical illusions may effect everyone, they don't always effect everyone in the same way. Some people struggle to see certain images that others may see easily. It is so interesting to think about! Everyone's eyes allow them to see something different, and it isn't only their eyes, but their brain. There are also studies that people with mood disorders and addictive disorders view these illusions differently. It all is intriguing to me.

Another concept I found intriguing, was the study of child development. It was easy to learn, and therefore, embedded itself in my mind. It's interesting to learn about children and object permanence or egocentrism. Knowing that when a ball or a toy falls under the couch, they believe it is gone forever or doesn't exist anymore. "Out of sight, out of mind", I never truly understood that this concept emerged from child psychology. Also, the experiment with the glasses. The liquid fills a glass higher when the glass is skinnier, and the child will therefore prefer that glass, assuming there is more liquid in the container. Very interesting and something I know I will remember in five years!

art_illusions_8.jpg

I agree with both of your points! Especially the optical illusions, those were really interesting to learn about. Prior to this class I had seen examples of different visual illusions but I never understood their significance. Now after finishing this course I find it very interesting that people view the illusions differently and the way that they view them could say something about their character, especially in the cases of people with mood disorders.

I definitely tend to remember the child psych stuff more too, as it falls within my major. What really interests me is that Piaget got it wrong, and that children more gradually develop than the sudden bursts he suggested. It seems to me the gradual hypothesis makes more sense. Just because a child loses a ball doesn't always mean they think it no longer exists. They may just lack the locomotion to go investigate so they readily forget about it and move onto the next thing.

It is interesting that those are the two things that stand out to you the most. The two topics are very very different but they also stand out in my mind. The optical illusion you posted was very cool and shows how each persons mind sees something different because I looked at it and instantly saw a person where as my friend saw the horses.

I completely agree with both of your points!

I was so interested to learn about the optical illusions. I have seen so many of them and always been interested by them, so it was really interesting to learn about how it can give insight to someone's character and how they view things in general. I've also never seen the picture you posted before this!

And I wrote by blog about child development as well. Just how a child can change so much in how they process and think about things is so fascinating to me. It was also really interesting to learn about the consequences if a child misses steps in the development process.

I really like the concepts that you pointed out. I figured out that the child development is an interesting topic to learn about. It is so enjoyable to learn all the stuff about children. Good post!

I admire people who strive to be psychologists. After taking this class, I have found a renewed respect for people in this field. It is so easy to take them for granted.