My Navy Seal Workout

Recently I've been working out using a crazy Navy Seals workout regiment.

Navy SEALs are often seen as the gods of physical fitness. They undergo extreme training routines. They are required to carry heavy equipment long distances over land and sea, often maneuvering through rough terrain on foot. The goal of Navy SEAL training is to build cardio fitness as well as the ability to maneuver body weight over obstacles with ease. The SEAL workout emphasizes core strength.

They are considered by many to be the toughest in the military. To become a Navy Seal, you have to complete a six month intense basic training program and a 15 week advanced training regime. The Navy published the Navy Seal Physical Fitness Guide that outlines recommended cardiovascular and strength training programs.

In the past the Navy SEAL Workout Routine has been performed in the Military only (at least that's what the internet told me). However up until recently, a group of former Navy Seals have put together the routine so members of public can have access to it. I'm talking about Tacfit Commando. If you're after a hardcore challenge and would like to know more, check it out out at http://ezinearticles.com/5320034.

It's been working. I've lost 10 pounds and am seeing more muscle definition. Pretty cool.

I Hate Migraines

I came down with a migraine yesterday. It completely ruined my weekend.

I was down in Florida with my family, on the beach, then suddenly, like a shit ton of bricks, my head started to pound. My weekend was ruined.

Anyhow, when I got home, THANK GOD, I grabbed my migraine medication.

If you're not a migraine sufferer, you probably don't know how terrible these are. Nothing gets rid of them. But recently, I've found a few over the counter medications that actually offer a little bit of migraine relief. Gelstat is probably my favorite. Although there are a bunch of others including teas that sort of work. The thing about gelstat is that it offers a concentrated dose of feverfew for migraines. I love it and next year, when I go to Florida, I think I'll probably bring a box along with me.

On that note, the election is upon us. GO REPUBLICANS GO!

Gun Safety

went hunting this weekend, so I thought I might write a little article on gun safety, especially as more guns are being bought in the home for self-defense.

An increasing number of people are deciding to buy guns for the purpose of home security. This type of home defense is ideal for those who live along without any other type of protection. As effective and reassuring as having a gun in your home might be, you will still need to make sure that you take all of the necessary safety precautions. This applies especially to those who have children, because nothing is more important than ensuring your children are safe from any type of misfires or accidents that could occur as the result of a firearm being mishandled by a child. The first thing that you will want to do is make sure that the safety feature on your gun is turned on. Remembering to do this can mean the difference between having a safe and secure household and risking possible injury of someone who lives in the house, including yourself.

To truly be safe with a gun in the house, one needs to learn how to properly use a firearm. This includes learning the proper way to load, clean, and store a gun that is somewhere in your home. You will be able to take courses that teach you all of these things and more, so you will be able to assure a secure home environment for yourself and those you live with. Storing your gun at home is important, and the best thing you can do to make sure it stays in adult hands is to put it in a safe. This way only you and those who know the combination will be able to access it. Often times children are curious and pick up whatever looks interesting. Even if you think you have found a child-proof spot to store your gun, you might be surprised what your child is capable of.

After you have found a suitable place to store the gun, you will want to make certain that you know how to clean it, so if the time ever comes to shoot it, you know that it will not jam. There is a very specific way to clean a gun, and it is critical that you know what it is, so you can avoid accidental misfires that could lead to injury. Being responsible with having a gun in the house also means knowing how to fire it if you ever need to. This too will help you avoid potential injury of yourself or someone you live with. Going to a shooting range a few times a week might be a good idea, just until you get down the proper posture and technique for shooting the gun you have purchased. There are different ways to hold a gun when shooting it, depending on the kind you have purchased.

I am an avid shooting sports enthusiast who sometimes writes gun reviews. I have recently written some firearm reviews at GunCritic, which is why I wrote this article on safety. I'm also very passsionate about gun safety.

Free Speech for Jesus

I was looking around the interwebs and stumbled upon this Bowling Green state university class reading list. I thought it was interesting.

The class has students read op/eds on free speech, which is an interesting approach. In one case, they even assign another student's opinion editorial for students to read. Wonder what it's like to be part of a college curriculum.

Anyhow, the case they're reading is the Morse vs Frederick, Bong Hits for Jesus case, which I've blogged about before.

Christian Magazine

I recently came across an article on Christian magazines that are popping up all over the nation. Joshua Unseth, the former editor in Chief of one of them, recently spoke about his experience in creating such a magazine.

Like the article says, the rise in Christian magazines on college campuses closely resembles the rise of Conservative magazines back in the 80s. A group of beneficent supporters are going around, helping to fund these small projects. Their goal is to discuss Christian matters all over college campuses which is exciting. In the current culture, where post-modern ideals are revered, intellectual discussions are often avoided for the sake of the all-important feeling. In the first place, I think that Christianity could use a jolt of intellectualism, in the second place, I think that culture could use a jolt of Christianity. So I'm super excited about what's going to come as these magazines become evermore popular.

There are now magazines at UMaine, Dartmouth, Harvard, Brown University, UChicago, Princeton, Berkley, Duke, Amherst State, Yale and more. In years to come I'm sure we'll see more and more. And while I'm happy to see Collegiate Network (the funder of most of the Conservative Magazines) funding a number of these magazines, I anticipate seeing a new organization coming out of this devoted exclusively to funding these student-run initiatives. Anyhow, only God knows what the future will bring. I'm excited to find out.

Morse v. Frederick

Morse v. Frederick is a fascinating court case that occurred a few years ago focusing on the free-speech rights of High School students.I've read a number of conservative arguments regarding this case, and most agree, the court's ruling which vindicated a school who had chastized (and suspended) a student who had unfurled a politically charged banner that read "Bong Hits 4 Jesus". The nonsensical message was construed by the principle as being pro-drug, and the student was suspended for the stunt.

After listening to the arguments, I can't imagine why the court's 5 to 4 decision is perceived as anathema. It seems that the argument wasn't over whether students have free speech, but, rather, at what point Frederick could be considered in school as opposed to truant.

If you get the chance, listen to the Morse vs. Frederick arguments, and tell me what you think.

Duane Morris's Malpractice Problem

In doing research for applying to law schools (which involves trying to figure out which law firms I will eventually want to intern with), I came across this tale of woe, involving the world famous lawfirm, Duane Morris. Apparently, one of their attorneys didn't properly file trademark papers, which caused a well established trademark to be lost by its legitimate owners.

It got me thinking, as we're in the midst of this healthcare debate, when law firms like Duane Morris commit what amounts to legal malpractice, shouldn't they be held to the same standards that doctors are held to--especially when Conservatives have been calling for tort reform as a means to revamping health care?

And while I know that Duane Morris isn't a group of ambulance chasing tort lawyers, it's not really about what they do but about their profession. If they are too incompetent to manage a simple open and shut case about trademarks, then shouldn't Duane Morris (like a hospital), be held accountable? What do you think?

Female Sexuality and the Sexual Revolution

A couple of years ago I took a class at Normandale in which discussed feminism in all its forms. I remember the extent to which everyone idolized their sexuality. Sexuality, it seems, has come to define who we are, what we are, what we do, and how we do it.

Now, I regard myself as a feminist, no question. I believe strongly in equal rights for women, equal pay for equal work, and the lot of it. But nowadays, where feminism has come to mean eschewing masculinity in all its forms, I can no longer say I find myself within the mainstream of feminist fighters.

Even more so recently after I read about a program called Fem Sex which has been creeping up at colleges around the nation. This program started at Berkley, has moved across the nation to schools like Carleton and Brown University, and epitomizes the idea that one's sexuality is their definitive trait. They encourage women to journal about their bodies, one such project asking the class to look at their cervix in a mirror and write about the experience. I think the program has little to no merit. But apparently, a lot of people (particularly women) disagree with me. If you read this comment, I can't stand the idea that sex is who and what we are. I think that our sexual natures, while important, are so secondary to the reality of our beings. Then, again, I don't mean to get too meta, so I'll stop there.

College Campus Conservative Magazines

I compiled this list of as many of the conservative magazines I could find around the nation. Does UMN have anything like these? And whatever happened to this project?

University of California-Irvine—The Anteater Review
Texas A & M University—The Anthem
Berry College—Areté
Catholic University of America—Battle Cry
Binghamton University—The Binghamton Review
North Carolina State University—The Broadside Magazine
Brown University—The Brown Spectator
University of California-Los Angeles—The Bruin Standard
University of California-Berkeley—The California Patriot
California State University-East Bay—The California Statesman
University of North Carolina—The Carolina Review
Stanford University—The Cardinal Principle
Johns Hopkins University—The Carrollton Record
Rutgers University—The Centurion
Arizona State University—Choice Magazine
Claremont College—The Claremont Independent
Colgate University—The Colgate Review
Columbia University—The Columbia Citadel
University of New Hampshire—Common Sense
University of Central Florida—The Compass
Brandeis University—The Concord Bridge
Cornell University—The Cornell Review
Bucknell University—The Counterweight
University of Minnesota-Morris—The Counterweight
Dartmouth College—The Dartmouth Review
Davidson College—The Davidson Reader
Eastern Washington University—The Eastern Republic
University of Missouri-Columbia—Equitas
College of the Holy Cross—The Fenwick Review
University of Florida—The Florida Frontier
Yale University—Fiat Lux
New York University—The Filibuster
University of Florida—The Gator Standard
Georgetown University—The Georgetown Academy
Georgetown University—The Georgetown Federalist
University of Georgia—The Georgia GuardDawg
Gonzaga University—The Gonzaga Witness
Duke University—The Gothic Guardian
Le Moyne College—The Grewen Review
George Washington University—The GW Patriot
Harvard University—The Harvard Ichthus
Harvard University—The Harvard Salient
Hillsdale College—The Hillsdale Forum
University of Colorado—The Hoof Print
University of Oklahoma—Ignition
Illinois State University—The Illinois State Patriot
University of Notre Dame—The Irish Rover
Bates College—The John Galt Press
Kenyon College—The Kenyon Observer
University of Delaware—The LampLighter
Lehigh University—The Lehigh Patriot
Oregon State University—The Liberty
Seton Hall University—Liberty Bell
Fordham University—The Liberty Forum
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh—Life & Liberty
Yale University—Light & Truth
DePaul University—Lincoln Park Statesman
University of Louisville—The Louisville Patriot
Lynchburg College—The Lynchburg Current
James Madison University—The Madison Review
University of Wisconsin-Madison—The Mendota Beacon
University of Michigan—The Michigan Review
University of Chicago—The Midway Review
University of Massachusetts Amherst—The Minuteman
Truman State University—The Missouri Statesman
West Virginia University—The Mountaineer Jeffersonian
University of West Virginia—The Musket
Southern Methodist University—The Mustang Post
Dakota Wesleyan University—The Naked Truth
Northeastern University—The Northeastern Patriot
Northwestern University—The Northwestern Chronicle
Boston College—The Observer at Boston College
Ohio University—The Ohio Verifier
Wake Forest University—The Old Guard
University of Illinois—The Orange & Blue Observer
University of Oregon—The Oregon Commentator
University of Nevada-Reno—The Pack Patriot
Wabash College—The Phoenix
Portland State University—The Portland Spectator
University of California-Riverside—The Praetorian
Stetson University—The Pragmatist
Tufts University—The Primary Source
Princeton University—The Princeton Tory
Purdue University—The Purdue Review
Christendom College—The Rambler
Rice University—The Rice Standard
University of Washington—The Right Turn
Manhattanville College—Right World View
Boston University—Sam Adams Review
Framingham State University—The Scapegoat
Ohio State University—The Sentinel
University of Tulsa—Sixthirtyone
Michigan State University—The Spartan Sword
Stanford University—The Stanford Review
University of North Dakota—The Student Journal
University of Maryland—The Terrapin Times
University of Texas-Austin—The Texas Maverick
University of Texas-Austin—Texas Review of Law and Politics
Clemson University—The Tiger Town Observer
University of California-San Diego—The Triton
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee—The University Standard
Georgetown University—Utraque Unum
Vanderbilt University—The Vanderbilt Torch
Loyola University Chicago—Veritas
Villanova University—The Villanova Times
University of Virginia—The Virginia Advocate
College of William & Mary—The Virginia Informer
Wabash College—The Wabash Commentary
Marquette University—The Warrior
Washington & Lee Universityz—Washington and Lee Spectator
Washington University—The Washington Witness
Indiana State University—The Watchman
Wayne State University—The Wayne Review
Yale University—Light & Truth
Yale University—The Yale Free Press

The Twilight Books

I've never really been one for fads. Even as a kid, I remember how confused I was every time a new fad passed. There were pogs, z-bots, beanie babies, pokemon, pokemon cards, Tamagachis, and many more. Being the entrepreneurial kid that I was, I would often try to capitalize on the fads and make some quick cash, which was always fun. But why anyone wanted the crap I was selling confused me. It's the smae thing with book fads. They confuse me just as much. Goosebumps, Harry Potter, and now Twilight (which has given way to a whole vampire meme among adults).

It's a different world now, and research is a bit easier. When I was a kid, if I wanted to take a look at the new books being fetishized by young (and old) readers, I had to go to the library and check it out or B Dalton and buy it. But on a $1/week allowance, and a propensity for reading heavier that sapped quite a bit of my reading time, I refused both options. The internet has changed all that. So when the Twilight books spiked in popularity, I was pleased to be able to read about them without having to either buy them or go to the library and check them out. My favorite bit of reading was posts that compared Twilight and Harry Potter. I'll confess that I've not read either, though I've seen all the Harry Potter movies. If the books are anything like the movies, I will admit that I am impressed with Rowling's ability to write 600 extremely interesting pages wherein lots happens but the plot is not advanced even one iota. The article I found to be hilarious only because I couldn't figure out why anyone would bother to write it. It seems to me that the only similarity between the two books is that Stephen King commented on them. Perhaps the most helpful article I read, then, was the Twilight Book Review that The Brown Spectator ran. Unlike the hilariously unhelpful comparison, it actually provides some good information for those who want to read the books.